Pedagogy & Features for Teen Health
Features Within the Text
Within the text, you will find features that are designed to help students develop and reinforce imperative knowledge and skills. These features include:
- Big Idea
Summarizes the main takeaway for the students at the beginning of each lesson.
- Main Idea
A sentence at the beginning of each section that summarizes the content in that particular section.
- Before You Read
Helps students tap into what they already know about the lesson content by responding to a short question in the Quick Write feature and reviewing key vocabulary from the lesson. In the online eBook, responses to the Quick Write questions can be typed directly into the response fields.
- Reading Checks
Stimulates quick recall and keeps students focused on the main idea of the lesson.
- Lesson Review
Questions at the end of each chapter ask students to reflect on what they learned in the lesson. In the online eBook, students can type their answers to the Lesson Review questions directly into the response fields.
Module Level Activities
Module-level activities support students as they develop knowledge and key skills that are critical to achieving and maintaining a healthy lifestyle and making informed, empowered decisions. These activities include:
Hands-On Health: Helps students understand the main idea of the module in a different way with an in-depth project-based learning activity.
Health Lab Activities: These labs require students to gather and analyze information that connects to the main idea of the module.
Building Health Skills: Gives students a deeper understanding of a topic and provides them with opportunities to practice health skills.
Web Quest: Sets parameters and goals for students as they explore a topic online.
Tech Know: These activities require students to use technology to complete a project.
Located at the end of the eBook, the Fitness Zone is a multimedia resource that teaches students how to be physically active every day and helps teachers incorporate physical activity into the content of the lesson. Fitness Zone activities and resources include Clipboard Energizer activities, videos, podcasts, heart rate monitor activities, and more!
Lesson-Level Activities and Resources
Teen Health features a variety of lesson-level activities and resources that help students practice what they’ve learned in the lesson. Within the digital experience, you can see what health standards are built into the lesson materials at the beginning of the lesson and can reference the standards as needed. You will also find teaching tracks for each grade level featuring reading strategies, critical thinking exercises, and engaging activity suggestions. These grade-level teaching tracks are coded to help you provide competency level resources appropriate for each individual student.
The interactive eBook is an accessible, digital version of the text and is available in English and Spanish. In addition, the eBook:
- Enables students to answer questions directly within the text to keep them engaged with the content.
- Features supporting media resources—like the Health eSpotlight videos in every lesson—to give students a deeper understanding of the material.
- Provides vocabulary definitions at point-of-use.
- Allows students to highlight or annotate important points in the text.
Practicing and Applying Health Skills
Each lesson features activities and resources that enable students to practice applying what they've learned. These activities are segmented by grade level to ensure each student completes an activity appropriate to their ability level.
Examples of these include:
- Concept Mapping.
- Guided Reading Activities.
- Decision-Making Activities.
- Enrichment Activities.
Downloadable PDFs can be assigned and completed within the online course, downloaded, or printed to accommodate a variety of instructional styles and classroom formats.
Teen Health features a variety of formative and summative assessments to measure student progress and understanding. Additionally, Teen Health allows you to edit, customize, and even create your own assessments based on your own criteria.
Standardized versions of these assessments are embedded in each lesson for your use:
- Lesson Review: Available in the print text or can be assigned to students to complete within the eBook.
- Lesson Check: A ten-question assessment that can be completed within the digital experience.
- Lesson Quiz: A fillable PDF that can be downloaded and printed or assigned within the digital experience.
Using the features within the Assessment Menu of the digital experience, you can:
- Access and edit pre-made assessments for each lesson.
- Choose from dozens of questions for each module in the Question Bank to develop your own assessments.
- Create your own questions to add to the Question Bank.
- Assign your custom assessments within the digital experience for students to complete online.
- Print assessments to distribute in the classroom.
Teen Health is a program built on research-based strategies and created with feedback from educators just like you. Whether you prefer traditional, digital, or blended learning, this program is designed to offer you not only the resources but also the flexibility you need to reach every learner while teaching your way. Teen Health can be fully integrated with Google Classroom® and features a variety of resources and tools to help you manage your classroom, including:
- PowerPoint presentations for every lesson that can be downloaded, edited, and printed.
- Answer keys for all activities featured within the program.
- Hands-On Health videos that can be used as engaging in-class activities or as support for how to do an activity.
- The ability to add your own resources or content (e.g., YouTube videos, news articles, etc.) to each lesson or teacher presentation.
- A Teacher Presentation option that allows you to add any resources (eBook, activities, PowerPoint presentation, teacher-added resources, etc.) into a presentation which can then be easily rearranged and customized for student streaming.