DLM Early Childhood Express
About the Program
The DLM Early Childhood Express is a holistic, child-centered program that nurtures each child by offering focused, meaningful instruction that is developmentally appropriate. The complete system provides a wealth of English and Spanish materials to help foster the social-emotional, intellectual, and physical development of children.
Children learn best by connecting what they know with what they learn. Essential Questions in units connect children to new ideas and understanding.
Easy-to-use lessons link essential disciplines to make instruction more relevant and help children recognize patterns in learning.
- Social-emotional development is addressed everyday through positive reinforcement, interactive activities, and engaging songs to help model and build interpersonal skills.
- Reading/ language arts lessons are focused on language acquisition which include oral language development and vocabulary activities.
- Mathematics is based on Building Blocks, the result of NSF-funded research, and designed to develop children's early mathematical knowledge through various individual and group activities.
- Science instruction provides students with skills in investigating and observing scientific concepts and methods during weekly science-focused, large-group activities, and Center Time activities.
- Fine arts provides student opportunities for expressing art, dance, and music.
- Social studies is addressed weekly and allows children to learn about community, history, geography, and citizenship.
- Physical movement is integrated into each lesson to help each child develop appropriate gross and fine motor skills.
- Technology skills for the 21st century are incorporated each week with the use of online math activities, computer time, and eBooks.
- Health and safety lessons help children begin to make good decisions about healthy living and safety.
The DLM Early Childhood Express provides literature, technology, and teacher resources in English and Spanish to help every teacher set up and deliver a dynamic learning environment for all children.
Program Components include:
- Teacher's Editions - Each of the 8 Teacher's Editions focuses on a specific theme and contains explicit, systematic instructions. There is one bilingual book for each four-week theme, providing essential questions for each lesson as well as plans for centers and suggestions for classroom management.
- Teacher's Treasure Book (Bilingual) - Features songs, traditional read alouds, folk tales, finger plays, and flannel board stories with patterns.
- Photo Library DVD (Multi-Language) - Contains vivid pictures of vocabulary terms in 10 languages with audio pronunciation, flash cards, and sorting games.
- Rhymes and Chants Flip Chart/CD (Bilingual) - Children practice music skills using the Rhymes and Chants Flip Chart which supports oral language development and phonological awareness in both English and Spanish. An Audio CD is included and provides a recording of every Rhyme and Chant.
- Making Good Choices Flip Chart/CD (Bilingual) - Provides illustrations to allow students to explore social and emotional development concepts while facilitating classroom activities and discussion. 15 lively songs recorded in both English and Spanish address key social emotional development themes such as joining in, helping others, being fair, teasing, bullying, and much more.
- Math and Science Flip Chart (Bilingual) - Is a demonstration tool that addresses weekly math and science concepts through photos and illustrations.
- Alphabet Wall Cards (English and Spanish) - Help students learn the names and shapes of letters and the sounds connected to the letter. The name of the picture on each card contains the target sounds at the beginning of the word for most consonants and in the middle for short vowels.
- Oral Language Development Cards (Bilingual) - Teach new vocabulary and are especially helpful when working with English Language Learners.
- Sequencing Cards (Illustrated) - Help children learn how to order events and the vocabulary associated with time and sequence.
- ABC Picture Cards (English and Spanish) - Help students learn the names and shapes of letters and the sounds connected to the letter. The name of the picture on each card contains the target sounds at the beginning of the word for most consonants and in the middle for short vowels.
- ABC Label Takehome Books (English and Spanish) - Blackline Master that provides each letter of the alphabet.
- DLM Research and Professional Development Guide - Provides background information on important research in early childhood and how the DLM Early Childhood Express incorporates best research practices. Teacher tips are also included for children with special needs and multicultural and English Language Learners.
- Home Connections Resource Guide (Bilingual) - Provides weekly letters home and take-home story books.
- Big Books Packages (English and Spanish) - Big Books reinforce each week's theme and the unit theme. Selections include stories originally written in Spanish as well as those written in English. Complete package includes 24 English Big Books and 24 Spanish Big Books (48 total).
- Concept Big Books (English and Spanish) - Non-fiction selections that introduce the essential questions for each unit and help children make their connections between their background knowledge and unit themes. Complete Package includes 4 English Concept Big Books and 4 Spanish Concept Big Books (8 total).
- ABC Big Books (English and Spanish) - Help children develop phonemic awareness and letter recognition.
- Little Books (6-packs) English and Spanish) - Reinforce each week's theme and the unit theme. Selections include stories originally written in Spanish as well as those written in English. Complete package includes 6-packs of each book, 24 for English and 24 Spanish (288 total).
- My Theme Library Books (6-packs) (English and Spanish) - My Theme Library books are take-home readers for children to continue their exploration of unit themes. Complete Package includes 6-packs of each My Theme Library book in both English and Spanish (96 total)
- Listening Library CDs (8 CDs) (English and Spanish) - Are recordings of the Big Books and Little Books. These can be used in a variety of ways to model reading fluency, for read-alongs, to review and reinforce story content, and for pre-teaching of selections.
- Manipulatives Kit - This package includes fun tools for children to play and learn with in the classroom. Includes: Two puppets, Alphabet Letter Tiles (English and Spanish), Transportation and Farm Animal Counters, Two-Color Counters, Step-by-Step Number Line, Balance Scale, Pattern Blocks, Shape Sets, Connecting Cubes, Jumbo Hand Lenses, Magnetic Wands.
Additional Details & Resources
- Program Overview
- Overview Brochure
- Fact Sheet
- Assessment Brochure
- Transition Book Flyer
- Technology Flyer
- New Components (comparison of new vs old DLM)
- Packages and Component List
- Letter and Sound Instruction
- Skills Matrix
- Themes and Literature Selections
- Audio and Literature Selections
- DLM Approach for At-Risk Preschoolers
- Assessment Overview Pages
- Front Matter from Teachers Resource Sampler
- Transition Book Sampler
- National Teacher Edition Unit 5, Week 3
- Making Good Choices Flip Chart, Unit 5, Week 3
- Math and Science Flip Chart, Unit 5, Week 3
- Concept Big Book, Unit 5 Amazing Animals
- Spanish Concept Big Book, Unit 5 Animales Asombrosos
- Teachers Treasure Book, Unit 5, Week 3
- Oral Language Development Cards, Unit 5, Week 3
- Flannel Boards, A to G
- Flannel Boards, H to P
- Flannel Boards, Q to Z
- Enlarged Flannel Boards, A to G
- Enlarged Flannel Boards, H to P
- Enlarged Flannel Boards, Q to Z
- DLM to Common Core State Standards
- Correlation to High Scope Key Developmental Indicators
- Correlation to The Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework
- Correlation to California Preschool Learning Foundations Social-Emotional Development
- Alignment of the Arizona State Early Learning Standards with Teaching Strategies GOLD™ Objectives for Development & Learning: Birth through Kindergarten
- Correlation to Florida Standards
- DLM Correlation with TSR!
- Correlations to Head Start Child Outcome Framework
- Correlations to Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards
- Correlations to Prekindergarten Guidelines - from Texas Education Agency (English)
- Correlations to Prekindergarten Guidelines - from Texas Education Agency (Spanish)
- Correlations to Head Start Child Outcomes Framework (Texas)
- Correlations to West Virginia Early Learning Standards
- Literature Correlation to Doors to Discovery
- Alphabet Knowledge and Phonological Awareness
- Developing Preschool Children's Writing
- Oral Language Why, What, and How in PreK
- Preschool Math Programs Creative Pathways to Knowledge
- Teaching Multicultural and English Language Learners
Randomized Control Studies
- Effects of Preschool Curriculum on Programs on School Readiness
This study evaluated the impact of 14 preschool curricula on a variety of classroom and student-level outcomes. The independent researchers found that DLM Early Childhood Express supplemented with Open Court Reading PRE-K had large and statistically significant effects on measures of students reading, phonological awareness, and language skills.