Cunningham, Principles of Environmental Science, 2023, 1e
Grades: 9 - 12
Designed specifically for the high school classroom, Principles of Environmental Science is an excellent fit for an on-level course. This current, concise view of environmental science is accessible for all students.
• Unit Projects, Case Studies, Data Analysis Labs, and Use the Practice activities apply engineering practices to real-world issues related to the field of study.
• The Claim Evidence Reasoning box prompts students to develop and research their own claim to enhance investigation and reasoning skills.
• Math Connection provides opportunities to practice quantitative and computational thinking skills.
• Realistic, three-dimensional, and instructional figures provide depth and orientation to complex structures and processes.
• The High School Teacher Manual, available in print and online, includes teaching strategies, pacing, activities with differentiated instruction, and ELL and visual literacy support.
• The Lab Manual brings environmental science to life through hands-on activities and inquiry-based labs.
Unit 1: Studying the Environment
Chapter 1: Nature of Science
Chapter 2: Understanding Our Environment
Unit 2: Ecology and the Natural World
Chapter 3: Environmental Systems: Matter, Energy, and Life
Chapter 4: Evolution, Species Interactions, and Biological Communities
Chapter 5: Population Dynamics
Chapter 6: Biomes and Biodiversity
Unit 3: Resources from Air, Water, and Land
Chapter 7: Climate
Chapter 8: Air Pollution
Chapter 9: Water: Resources and Pollution
Chapter 10: Land Use
Chapter 11: Food and Agriculture
Chapter 12: Environmental Geology and Earth Resources
Chapter 13: Energy
Unit 4: Sustainability and Environmental Policy
Chapter 14. Environmental Health and Toxicology
Chapter 15. Solid and Hazardous Waste
Chapter 16. Economics and Urbanization
Chapter 17. Environmental Policy and Sustainability