Content Essentials for Science
Standards-based science content and targeted instruction of essential reading strategies: together at last! Content Essentials for Science will help students build essential science concepts using concise academic language, graphic organizers, and strong visuals.
About the Program
Content Essentials in Science:
- Pre-teaches important vocabulary
- Provides language-level differentiation
- Offers a strong technology component that provides animation, interactive activities, photo libraries, visual dictionaries, and video on important science concepts
- Can be used with any science and language arts curricula
- Can be delivered by teachers, coaches, or para-professionals
- Is especially effective with ELL and at-risk students
- Handbooks develop the key concepts in Earth, Life, and Physical Science. Teachers utilize as needed to make science content more accessible for all students.
- Each Student Handbook and corresponding Teacher Guide is organized in two parts: Science Essentials and Literacy Essentials.
- Provides clear and concise instructional routines to help teachers deliver content, vocabulary, and nonfiction reading and writing instruction. It includes the Student Handbook pages with wrap-around notes at point-of-use for ease of instruction.
- Each Student Handbook and corresponding Teacher Guide is organized in two parts: Science Essentials and Literacy Essentials. Part 1: Science Essentials, helps students learn about science ideas and the academic vocabulary used to talk about them. Part 2: Literacy Essentials, teach students how to read and comprehend content-area text.
Blackline Masters Book
- Offers additional support on critical science vocabulary and concepts. Also reinforces important reading and writing skills.
Poster Big Book (Grades K-2)/Overhead Transparencies (Grades 3-6)
- Used to model comprehension and language strategies.
Student and Teacher Technology Tools
- Every lesson includes an electronic version of the Student Handbook, along with video and multimedia to support content and literacy instruction.
Additional Details & Resources
- Research Base: Content Essentials for Science
Learning content related vocabulary and literacy skills is important for success in a science program, particularly for ELL students. This report discusses research that shows the benefits of integrating literacy and vocabulary instruction in a science curriculum.
- Indiana Department of Education: Effective Programs for English Language Learners (ELL) with Interrupted Formal Education