Dr. Jane Echevarria
Professor Emerita, California State University, Long Beach)
Dr. Echevarria is Professor Emerita at California State University, Long Beach. A founding researcher and creator of the SIOP Model, Dr. Echevarria has published widely on effective instruction for English learners, including those with learning disabilities. She has presented her research in the U.S. and internationally, including serving as a Fulbright Specialist in Macedonia. and her UCLA doctorate earned her an award from the National Association for Bilingual Education's Outstanding Dissertations Competition. She received her university's Outstanding Professor award, was a finalist for the Senior Research Award given by the American Education Research Association, Second Language SIG, and was inducted into the California Reading Hall of Fame. She serves as an expert on English learners for the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Los Angeles, California
(Professional; Ph. D.)
- SIOP Model
- Improving Literacy for English Learners
- Advancing Literacy and Language Development for English Learners
- Best Practices for Teaching English Learners
- Oral Language Development
- Oral Language in Collaborative Conversations
- Texas Wonders and Texas Maravillas
- Echevarria, J. & Goldenberg, C. (2017). Second-language learners' vocabulary and oral language development. [Literacy Leadership Brief]. Newark, DE: International Literacy Association.
- Echevarria, J., Fisher, D. & Frey, N. (2016). How to Reach the Hard to Teach: Excellent Instruction for Those Who Need It Most. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Nora, J. & Echevarria, J. (2016) No More Low Expectations for English Learners (N. Duke & E. Keene, Eds.) Not This But That Series. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Echevarria, J., Vogt, M.E., & Short, D. (2017). Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP® Model, Fifth Edition. New York: Pearson.
- Short, D. & Echevarria, J. (2016). Developing Academic Language Using the SIOP Model. New York: Pearson Allyn & Bacon.
- Vogt. M.E., Echevarria, J. & Washam, M. (2015) 99 MORE Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP Model. New York: Pearson.
- Echevarria, J., Richards-Tutor, C. & Vogt, M. (2015). Response to Intervention (RTI) and English Learners: Using the SIOP Model Second Edition. New York: Pearson.
- Echevarria, J. & Graves, A. (2014). Sheltered Content Instruction: Teaching English Learners with Diverse Abilities, Fifth Edition. New York: Pearson.
My hope for Texas students is that those who are developing literacy in a new language will, through meaningful, scaffolded instruction, accelerate their language proficiency and develop the knowledge and skills necessary to reach their full academic potential.