The Art of Watching Films, 10th Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
Additional Product Information:
The 10th edition is informed by the belief that making films is an art—and that watching films is also an art. With an emphasis on the narrative film, The Art of Watching Films, 10e challenges students to take their film experience further by sharpening their powers of observation, developing the skills and habits of perceptive watching, and discovering complex aspects of film art that they might otherwise overlook. The text introduces the formal elements and production process of movies, and it helps students analytically view and understand films within their historical, cultural, and social contexts. There are more than 450 film frames with extensive captions to illustrate key points in the text for context and critical thinking. The textbook presents an organized framework that can be applied to all movies.
2 THEMATIC ELEMENTS
3 FICTIONAL AND DRAMATIC ELEMENTS
4 VISUAL DESIGN
5 CINEMATOGRAPHY AND SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
8 SOUND EFFECTS AND DIALOGUE
9 THE MUSICAL SCORE
11 THE DIRECTOR’S STYLE
12 ANALYSIS OF THE WHOLE FILM
14 GENRE FILMS, REMAKES, AND SEQUELS
15 FILM AND SOCIETY
By prompting students to engage with key concepts, while continually adapting to their individual needs, Connect activates learning and empowers students to take control resulting in better grades and increased retention rates. Proven online content integrates seamlessly with our adaptive technology, and helps build student confidence outside of the classroom.
Available within Connect, SmartBook 2.0 is an adaptive learning solution that provides personalized learning to individual student needs, continually adapting to pinpoint knowledge gaps and focus learning on concepts requiring additional study. SmartBook 2.0 fosters more productive learning, taking the guesswork out of what to study, and helps students better prepare for class. With the ReadAnywhere mobile app, students can now read and complete SmartBook 2.0 assignments both online and off-line. For instructors, SmartBook 2.0 provides more granular control over assignments with content selection now available at the concept level. SmartBook 2.0 also includes advanced reporting features that enable instructors to track student progress with actionable insights that guide teaching strategies and advanced instruction, for a more dynamic class experience.
Your text has great instructor tools, like presentation slides, instructor manuals, test banks and more. Follow the steps below to access your instructor resources or watch the step-by-step video.
Steps to access instructor resources:
- To get started, visit connect.mheducation.com to sign in. (If you do not have an account, request one from your McGraw Hill rep. To find your rep, visit Find Your Rep)
- Then, under "Find a Title," search by title, author, or subject
- Select your desired title, and create a course. (You do not have to create assignments, just a course instance)
- Go to your Connect course homepage
- In the top navigation, select library to access the title's instructor resources