Understanding Biology, 4th Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
Additional Product Information:
A concise and engaging biology text for biology majors, Understanding Biology 4e partnered with Connect emphasizes fundamentals concepts to help students better understand biology and focus on developing scientific skills. This approach utilizes the Vision and Change guidelines of Core Concepts and Core Skills while helping students begin the process of becoming a scientist.
1--The Science of Biology
2--The Nature of Moleculars and the Properties of Water
3--The Chemical Building Blocks of Life
Part II The Biology of the Cell
6--Energy and Metabolism
7--How Cells Harvest Energy
10--How Cells Divide
Part III Genetic and Molecular Biology
11--Sexual Reproduction and Meiosis
12--Patterns of Inheritance
13--The Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance
14--DNA: The Genetic Material
15--Genes and How They Work
16--Control of Gene Expression
Part IV Evolution
19--Genes Within Populations
20--The Evidence for Evolution
21--The Origin of Species
Part V The Diversity of Life
22--Systematics and Phylogeny
23--Prokaryotes and Viruses
Part VI Plant Form and Function
30--Flowering Plant Reproduction
31--The Living Plant
Part VII Animal Form and Function
32--The Animal Biology and How It Moves
33--The Nervous System
34--Fueling the Body's Metabolism
36--Reproduction and Development
Part VIII Ecology and Behavior
38--Ecology of Individuals and Populations
39--Community Ecology and Ecosystem Dynamics
40--The Living World
By prompting students to engage with key concepts, while continually adapting to their individual needs, Connect activates learning and empowers students to take control resulting in better grades and increased retention rates. Proven online content integrates seamlessly with our adaptive technology, and helps build student confidence outside of the classroom.
Available within Connect, SmartBook 2.0 is an adaptive learning solution that provides personalized learning to individual student needs, continually adapting to pinpoint knowledge gaps and focus learning on concepts requiring additional study. SmartBook 2.0 fosters more productive learning, taking the guesswork out of what to study, and helps students better prepare for class. With the ReadAnywhere mobile app, students can now read and complete SmartBook 2.0 assignments both online and off-line. For instructors, SmartBook 2.0 provides more granular control over assignments with content selection now available at the concept level. SmartBook 2.0 also includes advanced reporting features that enable instructors to track student progress with actionable insights that guide teaching strategies and advanced instruction, for a more dynamic class experience.
Your text has great instructor tools, like presentation slides, instructor manuals, test banks and more. Follow the steps below to access your instructor resources or watch the step-by-step video.
Steps to access instructor resources:
- To get started, visit connect.mheducation.com to sign in. (If you do not have an account, request one from your McGraw Hill rep. To find your rep, visit Find Your Rep)
- Then, under "Find a Title," search by title, author, or subject
- Select your desired title, and create a course. (You do not have to create assignments, just a course instance)
- Go to your Connect course homepage
- In the top navigation, select library to access the title's instructor resources
Reduce course material costs for your students while still providing full access to everything they need to be successful. It isn't too good to be true - it's Inclusive Access.