Building Citizenship: Civics & Economics © 2018
Grades: 6 - 11
Building Citizenship: Civics and Economics prepares middle school students for active citizenship by showing how people, the economy, and government work to create a society. It’s a part of McGraw-Hill Networks™, a dynamic student-centered program that helps teachers prepare students to be successful in college, careers, and civic life.
Building Citizenship: Civics and Economics
Remy • Patrick • Saffell • Clayton
- Focus on the big ideas with content built around Essential Questions
- Aligns with the Center for Civic Education’s National Standards for Civics and Government and the Council of Economics Education’s National Standards
- Make relevant connections with The Story Matters chapter openers, Real Life Civics, Teen Citizens in Action, Landmark Supreme Court Cases and service learning activities.
- Maximize comprehension with the Reading Help Desk in each lesson to assist students with reading strategies, note-taking activities, graphic organizers, and vocabulary support.
- Build critical thinking skills with You Decide, Being an Active Citizen, Why It Matters, and 21st Century Skills activities.
This interactive print worktext is built around essential questions and permits students to develop their inquiry skills using analysis, primary sources, and evidence-based writing. Each chapter culminates in a Taking Action activity designed to translate learning into informed action. It’s designed with the C3 Framework for social studies in mind.
Reading Essentials and Study Guide:
This supplemental, print guided-reading workbook is written at 2-3 grades below the Student Edition. Reinforce critical concepts from the text and help students improve their reading-for-information skills.
Digital Student Learning Center:
Includes the full student edition and inquiry journal, plus engaging resources that provide context and bring the narrative to life such as maps, timelines, infographics, primary sources, images, and videos. Includes audio, annotation tools, and approaching level option for the student text. Reading and writing support such as guided notes, vocabulary pop-ups, and graphic organizers help improve understanding of the content. Cumulative Hands-On Chapter Projects and additional Technology Extension activity provide authentic performance assessment. LearnSmart® with SmartBook® adaptive ebook helps students learn faster, study more efficiently, and retain more knowledge.
The print Teacher Wraparound Edition is built on the principles of Understanding by Design®. It includes the entire student text along with a variety of planning and instructional support for the print and digital resources. Differentiation strategies as well as project-based learning materials are included.
Chapter Tests and Lesson Quizzes:
Printed blackline master booklet of Lesson Quizzes and Chapter Tests includes all the editable tests available online. Use it to preview online test questions or print for paper and pencil tests. Chapter tests include traditional and document-based question tests.
Digital Teacher Lesson Center:
Easily access all teaching resources and classroom management tools for the curriculum.
- Differentiate with Spanish language resources, and strategies for approaching level, beyond level, and ELL students.
- Access and customize online lesson plans and explore the library of resources.
- Create assignments for whole class or individual students. Includes pre-built and customizable tests and quizzes, with a variety of question types to provide critical practice for high-stakes assessments.
Online SyncBlasts permit teachers to leverage rich, multi-media reading and writing assignments focused on social studies and current event articles. These help to engage students and cultivate reading, writing, and critical-thinking skills in a unique, and ever-growing platform. New Blasts are being added regularly; Spanish language Blasts are also included.