Introduction to Mass Communication, 12th Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
In today’s media rich world, Introduction to Mass Communication keeps media literacy and culture at its core. Using examples of the past to show how mass communications got their roots and keeping current with the present emerging technologies and trends, Introduction to Mass Communication gives students a deeper understanding of the role media plays in both shaping and reflecting culture.
By understanding and evaluating the ways in which media convergence is changing the landscape of media today, students are encouraged to think critically about their own roles in society as active media consumers. Through this cultural perspective, students learn that audience members are as much a part of the mass communication process as are the media technologies and industries.
The new edition maintains its commitment to enhancing students’ critical thinking and media literacy skills. New and updated material in this edition reflects the latest developments in new digital technologies and highlights the most current research in the field.
With Introduction to Mass Communication, students will have access to a suite of assessments and presentation tools to help them become successful and confident communicators in the workplace, including:
- Video Capture powered by GoReact™ is the best way to give feedback on student presentations. It makes assigning and providing personalized feedback easy and it helps improve student outcomes and confidence.
- SmartBook 2.0 provides a personalized and adaptive learning experience for students, while highlighting the most impactful communication concepts the learner needs to study at that time.
- Application-Based Activities are highly interactive, automatically graded, learn-by-doing exercises that provide students a safe space to apply their problem-solving skills to real-world scenarios.
- Writing Assignments offer faculty the ability to assign a full range of writing assignments to students (both manual-scoring and auto-scoring) with just-in-time feedback.
Part 1 Laying The Groundwork
Chapter 1 Mass Communication, Culture, and Media Literacy
Chapter 2 Convergence and the Reshaping of Mass Communication
Part 2 Media, Media Industries, and Media Audiences
Chapter 3 Books
Chapter 4 Newspapers
Chapter 5 Magazines
Chapter 6 Film
Chapter 7 Radio, Recording, and Popular Music
Chapter 8 Television, Cable, and Mobile Video
Chapter 9 Video Games
Chapter 10 The Internet and Social Media
Part 3 Strategic Communication Industries
Chapter 11 Public Relations
Chapter 12 Advertising
Part 4 Mass-Mediated Culture in The Information Age
Chapter 13 Theories and Effects of Mass Communication
Chapter 14 Media Freedom, Regulation, and Ethics
Chapter 15 Global Media
- LMS Integration
- Print/Loose-Leaf Book Add-On Availability
- Presentation Slides & Instructor Resources
- Question & Test Banks
- Adaptive Assignments
- Student Progress Reporting & Analytics
- Essay Prompts
- Prebuilt Courses
- Interactive Exercises
- eBook Access (ReadAnywhere App)
- Remote Proctoring (Proctorio)
- Subject-Specific Tools
Reduce course material costs for your students while still providing full access to everything they need to be successful. It isn't too good to be true - it's Inclusive Access.