Engaging Questions: A Guide to Writing 3e 2021 MLA Update, 3rd Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
Engaging Questions, now in its third edition, emphasizes interaction and critical thinking, transforming passive learners into active learners empowered to ask their own questions and pursue those questions wherever they lead:
• In reading and thinking before writing, to interpret texts and assignments and to evaluate the credibility of sources.
• In planning and organizing, to investigate the writing situation, to find a topic, and to formulate a coherent thesis.
• In drafting, to consider choices of style, voice, and genre and question the effectiveness of the choices made.
• In revising and editing, to anticipate readers’ experience with the text and see where changes could make the text more readable and effective.
With a redesigned table of contents, this edition foregrounds instruction and assignments critical to the first-year writing course. Its inquiry-based approach provides the scaffold for comprehensive coverage organized around four key parts: Exploring Writing and Reading, Writing in the Aims, Researching Writing, and Writing in the Genres.
• Connect for Write Now 3e features three new powerful assignments:
o McGraw Hill's new Writing Assignment Plus with an automated grammar checker and plagiarism detection. The assignment is built from the ground up with accessibility in mind.
o Adaptive Learning Assignment provides a learning experience that adapts to the needs of each learner through ongoing, formative assessments, feedback, and learning resources. The assignment allows for more flexibility when assigning topics and was designed with accessibility in mind.
o SmartBook 2.0 has been updated with improved learning objectives to ensure that students gain foundational knowledge while also learning to make connections to help them formulate a broader understanding of concepts essential to writing well. SmartBook 2.0 personalizes learning to individual student needs, continually adapting to pinpoint knowledge gaps and focus learning on topics that need the most attention.
1 Critical Thinking and the Art of Questioning
2 Reading Critically and the Art of Questioning
3 Writing and the Art of Questioning
PART II Writing in the Aims
4 Narrating Experiences
5 Describing People and Places
6 Presenting Information
7 Exploring a Concept
8 Comparing Perspectives
9 Critiquing an Argument
10 Making an Argument
11 Arguing to Persuade
12 Writing an Evaluation
13 Choosing Modes of Development
14 Editing Fundamentals
PART III Researching Writing
15 Planning a Research Project
16 Finding Sources
17 Evaluating Sources
18 Incorporating Source Materials
19 Using Sources Responsibly
20 Documenting Your Sources: MLA
21 Documenting Your Sources: APA
PART IV Writing in the Genres
22 Writing a Rhetorical Analysis
23 Writing a Reflection
24 Writing a Visual Analysis
25 Writing a Literary Analysis
26 Writing an Editorial or Opinion Column
27 Writing a Proposal
28 Writing a Research Proposal
29 Writing an Annotated Bibliography
30 Writing Instructions
31 Writing and Giving Oral Presentations
32 Designing Documents and Using Graphics
Connect Chapters - Available in the eBook and SmartBook® 2.0
33 Claiming Voice
34 Writing Portfolios
35 Mastering Essay Exams
36 Writing a Blog
37 Writing a Review
38 Writing a Prospectus
39 Writing Résumés and Job Letters
40 Writing a Lab Report
41 Writing an Abstract
- LMS Integration
- Print/Loose-Leaf Book Add-On Availability
- Presentation Slides & Instructor Resources
- Question & Test Banks
- Adaptive Assignments
- Student Progress Reporting & Analytics
- Essay Prompts
- Prebuilt Courses
- Interactive Exercises
- eBook Access (ReadAnywhere App)
- Remote Proctoring (Proctorio)
- Subject-Specific Tools