STEM Essentials 3-4
This package includes short lessons and activities that focus on technology as a tool, how different materials are used, how ideas become inventions, and the impact that inventions have on society.
- Includes hands-on activities that explore technological advances
- Supports student understanding of the design process
About the Program
- Lesson 1 – What is Technology?
- Lesson 2 – Ideas and Inventions
- Lesson 3 – Technology in Communications
- Lesson 4 – Technology in Medicine
- Lesson 5 – Technology in Industry
- Lesson 6 – Technology, Society, and the Environment
- Lesson 7 – Technology and the Future
Online Teacher Guides – This online support helps teachers prepare and implement each module—including activities, research suggestions, and questions that focus on STEM fields of study and connections to STEM careers.
Each package includes 6 of each title in addition to 6 copies of the Technology A Closer Look student books.
STEM Essentials are independent, thematic modules designed to engage students and enhance learning.
- Exciting units provide an introduction to STEM related fields and careers
- High-interest topics and problem-based investigations are designed to capture student attention
- Supports the development of science skills and mathematical practices
The lessons in the Technology A Closer Look student books provide hands-on activities that cover a broad range of information on all types of technology including media, transportation, entertainment, and medical technology.
Correlated with each lesson are a variety of high-interest, nonfiction leveled readers to give interested students more information and vital exposure to a particular topic or career.
McGraw-Hill established the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) learning solution center in 2009. This unique organization brought together our experienced editorial, marketing, project management, and business management teams to focus on STEM education. The STEM learning solution center is located in Columbus, Ohio.
STEM Mission Statement:
Our mission is to provide educational resources that enable students to become the problem solvers of the 21st century and inspire them to explore careers within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) related fields.
Science, A Closer Look, Grade 3-4, Essentials, Energy Sources
To learn about the specific purchase options for this program, please contact our Customer Service team at 800-338-3987
- We have stopped printing many old products, but we might have some stock in our warehouse.
- Select legacy products are available on Create® EasyOrder.
Additional Details & Resources
- Overview Brochure
- Online Teacher Guide
- Celeste Baines Blog
- Kathy Schrock’s Guide for Educators
- Kathy Schrock’s Page
- OSLN (Ohio STEM Learning Network)
- COSI (Center of Science and Industry)
- OSU WiE Race (The Ohio State University)
- TEA Workshop (Technology Engineering Aptitude)
- STEM connector™
- The Works: A Hands-on Museum of Engineerings
Dr. Freeman A. Hrabowski, III speaking at the third annual Innovation in Education Summit in New York City on September 28, 2011 on increasing STEM achievement: