Problem-Driven Math is designed to give teachers instruction, practice, and support for delivering problem-solving and reasoning strategies to their students. Extensive student support for each problem listed in the text is provided illustrating teaching tips, discussion questions, additional assessment problems, problem-solving strategies, and more! The authors, Stephen Krulik and Jesse A. Rudnick, are also the authors of the award winning Roads to Reasoning series. Problem-Driven Math addresses the NCTM Content Standards for Numbers and Operations, Algebra, Geometry, Measurement, and Data Analysis and Probability
Problem-Driven Math uses a whimsical approach to teaching problem-solving. This text is purposely designed to provide students with fun, humorous, and engaging problem-solving activities. Problem-Driven Math also goes beyond teaching how to arrive at the solution, but to understand the process and concepts behind the process.
- Develops mathematical concepts while reinforcing algorithmic skills
- Allows teachers to coordinate problems with their textbook teaching sequence
- Clearly defines the mathematics in each problem
- Includes embedded professional development to assist teachers at all levels of experience
- Provides ‘models’ for teaching and illustrating key mathematical concepts