About the Program
During this course, participants read and apply content from a portion of The National Reading Panel report, Practical Advice for Teachers, which addresses the importance of vocabulary and vocabulary instruction. They watch a mentor teacher lead several vocabulary-building or reinforcement activities and evaluate the difficulty and effectiveness for students of those activities. Participants learn about the strong connection between vocabulary knowledge and reading comprehension and learn and analyze instructional strategies for teaching vocabulary. Then, they will reflect on the use of that information in their own classrooms.
- Examine the strong connection between vocabulary knowledge and reading comprehension.
- Develop and expand understanding of students’ vocabulary learning.
- Learn effective instructional strategies for teaching vocabulary to students.
RttT/SIG Assurances covered:
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Turning Around the Lowest Performing Schools
Audience: Building Administrators, Coaches, and Teachers
Number of Participants: 1
Delivery Method: Online
Time: 3 to 5 hours