Castro, Marine Science © 2019, 2e
Grades: 9 - 12
The first edition of Marine Science became an instant beloved text with its full coverage of oceanography, stunning design, student-friendly learning system, and data analysis labs. Now in its second edition, the program further expands its NGSS coverage, ELL support, interdisciplinary applications, and introduces a broader focus on human and environmental interaction.
• Study Strategy activities, including listening, speaking, reading, and peer interactions, that help to support a variety of learning styles.
• Vocabulary activities and support that help students acquire and understand the key terminology of marine science.
• Inquiry Activities that allow students to expand upon what they’ve studied in the Nature of Science, Marine Science in Action, Habitat Spotlight, and Humans and the Ocean features.
• Teacher Manual, available in print and online, includes a detailed pacing guide for each chapter, chapter summaries, answers to the section and chapter review questions, and differentiated instruction support and activities.
• A Lab Manual with 42 Labs—no ocean needed!
UNIT ONE: THE OCEAN ENVIRONMENT
- CHAPTER 1 Principles of Marine Science
- CHAPTER 2 Plate Tectonics and the Structure of Ocean Basins
- CHAPTER 3 Ocean Chemistry and Structure
- CHAPTER 4 Waves and Tides
- CHAPTER 5 Ocean and Atmospheric Circulation
UNIT TWO: THE ORGANISMS OF THE SEA
- CHAPTER 6 Fundamentals of Biology
- CHAPTER 7 The Microbial World
- CHAPTER 8 Multicellular Primary Producers: Seaweeds and Plants
- CHAPTER 9 Marine Animals Without a Backbone
- CHAPTER 10 Marine Fishes
- CHAPTER 11 Marine Reptiles, Birds, and Mammals
UNIT THREE: STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF MARINE ECOSYSTEMS
- CHAPTER 12 An Introduction to Marine Ecology
- CHAPTER 13 Between the Tides
- CHAPTER 14 Estuaries: Where Rivers Meet the Sea
- CHAPTER 15 Life on the Continental Shelf
- CHAPTER 16 Coral Reefs
- CHAPTER 17 Life Near the Surface
- CHAPTER 18 The Ocean Depths
UNIT FOUR: HUMANS AND THE SEA
- CHAPTER 19 Resources from the Sea
- CHAPTER 20 The Impact of Humans on the Marine Environment