The Customer Revolution in Healthcare: Delivering Kinder, Smarter, Affordable Care for All, 1st Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
Customer-centric, market-driven solutions for fixing America’s broken healthcare system—from one of the industry’s most innovative thought leaders.
Healthcare accounts for nearly a fifth of the U.S. economy. Everyone agrees that the current system is broken and in desperate need of repair. It should cost less, tackle chronic disease, and promote health. It requires a massive shift in resources from acute services to better care management, behavioral health, and primary care services. The question isn’t what to do. It’s how to do it. The revolution starts by meeting and supporting consumers’ real health needs. It’s time for American healthcare to serve the people.
This is The Customer Revolution in Healthcare. Written by leading healthcare strategist and commentator David W. Johnson, this groundbreaking book is more than a wake-up call. It’s a point-by-point action plan to:
• Blow up the “Healthcare Industrial Complex”
• Liberate data and empower consumers with technology
• Promote agile, innovative, and customer-centric “platform” companies
• Reduce costs, improve service, and generate superior outcomes
• Deliver personalized care with precisions and compassion
• Explain and address America’s self-created opioid crisis
• Provide affordable and accessible health insurance for all
• Turbocharge the U.S. economy
• Foster healthier communities
Revolutionary healthcare empowers patients and providers alike. Competitive healthcare companies reconfigure inefficient business models to deliver appropriate, accessible, holistic, and reliable care at lower costs. Caregivers engage patients with insight and compassion informed by real-time data and analytics. Payers reward health companies that deliver great outcomes and great service at competitive prices while keeping members as healthy as possible. Investors fund innovative companies whose products and services delight customers. And consumers receive compassionate, affordable, convenient healthcare that meets their needs.
Most important, The Customer Revolution in Healthcare provides a robust framework for aligning economic incentives with patient needs to deliver better outcomes at lower costs with superior customer service. The future of healthcare belongs to innovative customer-centric health companies that deliver kinder, smarter, more affordable care—to all.
Introduction: The Healthcare
PART I Revolutionary Conditions
CHAPTER 1 Fundamental Flaws
CHAPTER 2 Waste More, Want More
CHAPTER 3 Taxation Without Representation
CHAPTER 4 America’s Self-Created Opioid Tragedy
PART I CONCLUSION
Declaration of Independence
PART II Revolutionary Forces
CHAPTER 5 Empowered Customers (Buyers)
CHAPTER 6 Liberated Data
CHAPTER 7 Pro-Market Regulation
PART II CONCLUSION
PART III Revolutionary Healthcare
CHAPTER 8 Revolutionary Upstarts
CHAPTER 9 Revolutionary Incumbents
CHAPTER 10 Healthcare for All
PART III CONCLUSION
E Pluribus Unum 271
Conclusion: Healthcare’s Moral Imperative