Sports in Society: Issues and Controversies, 13th Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
For over 30 years, Sports in Society has been a resource in the cultural, interactional, and structural dimensions of sports. The Thirteenth Edition provides a thorough introduction to the sociology of sport by raising critical questions to explore the relationships between sports, culture, and society. This text takes an issues-oriented approach to the study of sports in society and encourages the discussion of current sports-related controversies. Students develop critical thinking skills by considering their own personal experiences, families, schools, communities, and societies.
CHAPTER 1: The Sociology of Sport: What Is It and Why Study It?
CHAPTER 2: Producing Knowledge About Sports in Society: How Is Knowledge Produced In the Sociology of Sport?
CHAPTER 3: Sports and Socialization: Who Plays and What Happens to Them?
CHAPTER 4: Sports for Children: Are Organized Programs Worth the Effort?
CHAPTER 5: Deviance in Sports: Is It Out of Control?
CHAPTER 6: Violence in Sports: Does It Affect Our Lives?
CHAPTER 7: Gender and Sports: Is Equity Possible?
CHAPTER 8: Race and Ethnicity: Are They Important in Sports?
CHAPTER 9: Social Class: Do Money and Power Matter in Sports?
CHAPTER 10: Age and Ability: Barriers to Participation and Inclusion?
CHAPTER 11: Sports and the Economy: What Are the Characteristics of Commercial Sports?
CHAPTER 12: Sports and the Media: Could They Survive Without Each Other?
CHAPTER 13: Sports and Politics: How Do Governments and Global Political Processes Influence Sports?
CHAPTER 14: Sports in High School and College: Do Competitive Sports Contribute to Education?
CHAPTER 15: Sports and Religions: Is It a Promising Combination?
CHAPTER 16: Sports in the Future: What Do We Want Them to Be?
- LMS Integration
- Print/Loose-Leaf Book Add-On Availability
- Presentation Slides & Instructor Resources
- Question & Test Banks
- Adaptive Assignments
- Student Progress Reporting & Analytics
- Essay Prompts
- Prebuilt Courses
- Interactive Exercises
- eBook Access (ReadAnywhere App)
- Remote Proctoring (Proctorio)
- Subject-Specific Tools
Reduce course material costs for your students while still providing full access to everything they need to be successful. It isn't too good to be true - it's Inclusive Access.