Foundational Skills Kits
Overview of Foundational Skills Kits
Laying Strong Foundations for Strong Readers
Foundational skills are critical as they lay the groundwork for academic and overall future success. Foundational Skills Kits provide research-based instruction and classroom-tested tools to help every student master these essential skills.
- Grade K prepares the foundation for reading with phonemic awareness, concepts of print, and the alphabetic principle.
- Grade 1 builds upon this foundation with sound-spelling correspondences and spelling strategy development.
- Grades 2 and 3 reinforce and expand upon fluency, decoding, and encoding skills for automatic recognition.
Components for Foundational Skills Kits
- Alphabet Wall Cards
- Small-Group Alphabet Sound Cards
- Individual Alphabet Sound Cards (4 sets)
- High-Frequency Flash Cards
- Pre-Decodable & Decodable Take-home BLM
- Magnetic Letters
- Pocket Chart
- Individual Pocket Chart
- Pocket Chart Picture Cards
- Pocket Chart Word Cards
- Lion Puppet
- Alphabet Letter Cards (upper & lowercase)
- Magnetic Dry Erase Board
- Alphabet Little Book
- Pickled Peppers Little Book
- Letter Cubes
- English Learner Photo Cards
- Alphabet Sound Stickers
Alphabet Sound Cards
31 color-coded cards: 21 consonants, 5 long vowels, 5 short vowels. Three sizes: Individual, Small-Group, Wall Card. Digital cards recite the sound card story and each picture illustrates a motion.
Pre-Decodable and Decodable Stories
14 Core Pre-Decodable
28 core decodable stories
Available in print and digital format.
Components available in both print and digital format
Every lesson provides differentiated instruction for phonics, fluency, vocabulary and language development, and word analysis.
Teacher Resource Book
Lesson-by-lesson instructional support for at-risk and English learners. Implemented during small-group.
Sample Program Online
Get a sample of Foundational Skills Kits Open Court Reading. Discover new ideas, lessons, and strategies to improve literacy skills.