The Humanities through the Arts, 11th Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
Additional Product Information:
The Humanities Through the Arts examines how values are revealed in the arts while keeping in mind a basic question: “What is art?” It binds us together as a people by revealing the most important values of our culture. This program’s genre-based approach offers students the opportunity to understand the relationship of the arts to human values by examining, in-depth, each of the major artistic media: painting, sculpture, architecture, literature, theater, music, dance, photography, cinema, and television and video art. Subject matter, form, and content in each of the arts supply the framework for careful analysis. All of this is achieved with an exceptionally vivid and complete illustration program. The wide range of opportunities for criticism and analysis helps the reader synthesize the complexities of the arts and their interaction with values of many kinds. The text contains detailed discussion and interactive responses to the problems inherent in a close study of the arts and values of our time.
Chapter 1 The Humanities: An Introduction
Chapter 2 What Is a Work of Art?
Chapter 3 Being a Critic of the Arts
Part 2 The Arts
Chapter 4 Painting
Chapter 5 Sculpture
Chapter 6 Architecture
Chapter 7 Literature
Chapter 8 Theater
Chapter 9 Music
Chapter 10 Dance
Chapter 11 Photography
Chapter 12 Cinema
Chapter 13 Television and Video Art
Part 3 Interrelationships
Chapter 14 Is It Art or Something Like It?
Chapter 15 The Interrelationships of the Arts
Chapter 16 The Interrelationships of the Humanities
By prompting students to engage with key concepts, while continually adapting to their individual needs, Connect activates learning and empowers students to take control resulting in better grades and increased retention rates. Proven online content integrates seamlessly with our adaptive technology, and helps build student confidence outside of the classroom.
Available within Connect, SmartBook 2.0 is an adaptive learning solution that provides personalized learning to individual student needs, continually adapting to pinpoint knowledge gaps and focus learning on concepts requiring additional study. SmartBook 2.0 fosters more productive learning, taking the guesswork out of what to study, and helps students better prepare for class. With the ReadAnywhere mobile app, students can now read and complete SmartBook 2.0 assignments both online and off-line. For instructors, SmartBook 2.0 provides more granular control over assignments with content selection now available at the concept level. SmartBook 2.0 also includes advanced reporting features that enable instructors to track student progress with actionable insights that guide teaching strategies and advanced instruction, for a more dynamic class experience.
Your text has great instructor tools, like presentation slides, instructor manuals, test banks and more. Follow the steps below to access your instructor resources or watch the step-by-step video.
Steps to access instructor resources:
- To get started, visit connect.mheducation.com to sign in. (If you do not have an account, request one from your McGraw Hill rep. To find your rep, visit Find Your Rep)
- Then, under "Find a Title," search by title, author, or subject
- Select your desired title, and create a course. (You do not have to create assignments, just a course instance)
- Go to your Connect course homepage
- In the top navigation, select library to access the title's instructor resources