- Highlight, take notes, and search
- Download the free ReadAnywhere app for offline & mobile access
- Note: Connect access NOT included. If Connect is required for your course, click the "Learning Platform" tab.
With a research-based, skills-focused approach to the Introduction to Communication course, Communication Matters debunks the often-held belief that good communication is based on personal instincts. Taking research and relevance a step further, Communication Matters helps students think critically about the communication they take part in every day.
Chapter 1 Communication: A First Look
Chapter 2 Communication and Culture
Chapter 3 Perceiving Ourselves and Others
Chapter 4 How We Use Language
Chapter 5 Communicating Nonverbally
Chapter 6 Listening Effectively
Part Two: Communication in Context
Chapter 7 Communicating in Social and Professional Relationships
Chapter 8 Communicating in Intimate Relationships
Chapter 9 Communicating in Small Groups
Chapter 10 Decision Making and Leadership in Groups
Part Three: Communication in the Public Sphere
Chapter 11 Choosing, Developing, and Researching a Topic
Chapter 12 Organizing and Finding Support for Your Speech
Chapter 13 Presenting a Speech Confidently and Competently
Chapter 14 Speaking Informatively
Chapter 15 Speaking Persuasively
Appendix: Workplace Communication and Interviewing
Chapter 16 Communicating in Organizations
Chapter 17 Communication and Media
Chapter 18 Communication and Health
By prompting students to engage with key concepts, while continually adapting to their individual needs, Connect activates learning and empowers students to take control resulting in better grades and increased retention rates. Proven online content integrates seamlessly with our adaptive technology, and helps build student confidence outside of the classroom.
Available within Connect, SmartBook 2.0 is an adaptive learning solution that provides personalized learning to individual student needs, continually adapting to pinpoint knowledge gaps and focus learning on concepts requiring additional study. SmartBook 2.0 fosters more productive learning, taking the guesswork out of what to study, and helps students better prepare for class. With the ReadAnywhere mobile app, students can now read and complete SmartBook 2.0 assignments both online and off-line. For instructors, SmartBook 2.0 provides more granular control over assignments with content selection now available at the concept level. SmartBook 2.0 also includes advanced reporting features that enable instructors to track student progress with actionable insights that guide teaching strategies and advanced instruction, for a more dynamic class experience.
Your text has great instructor tools, like presentation slides, instructor manuals, test banks and more. Follow the steps below to access your instructor resources or watch the step-by-step video.
- To get started, visit connect.mheducation.com to sign in. (If you do not have an account, request one from your McGraw Hill rep. To find your rep, visit Find Your Rep)
- Then, under "Find a Title," search by title, author, or subject
- Select your desired title, and create a course. (You do not have to create assignments, just a course instance)
- Go to your Connect course homepage
- In the top navigation, select library to access the title's instructor resources