Discovering World Geography (Full Survey) © 2018
Grades: 6 - 8
Discovering World Geography gives today's students a firm foundation for understanding global issues in context of physical and human geography. Middle school students will explore the role of social media, refugees, immigration, trade issues, the effects of aging populations, and energy resources and indigenous rights.
Discovering World Geography
- Focus on the big ideas with an accessible print student text built around Essential Questions, enduring ideas, and National Geography standards.
- Put your social studies students in the middle of the action with Explore the World unit openers, unit maps, as well as Step Into Place and Time chapter openers.
- Engage students to learn people, places, culture and history with The Story Matters and Global Connections.
- Maximize comprehension with the Reading Help Desk in each lesson to assist students with reading strategies, note-taking activities, graphic organizers, and vocabulary support.
Reading Essentials and Study Guide:
This supplemental, print guided-reading workbook is written at 2-3 grades below the Student Edition. Reinforce critical concepts from the text and help students improve their reading-for-information skills.
Digital Student Learning Center:
Includes the full student edition, plus engaging resources that provide context and bring the narrative to life such as maps, timelines, animations, primary sources, images, and videos. Includes audio, annotation tools, and approaching level option for the student text. Reading and writing support such as guided notes, vocabulary pop-ups, and graphic organizers help improve understanding of the content. Cumulative Hands-On Chapter Projects and additional Technology Extension activity provide authentic performance assessment. ePals Global Collaboration projects create real-world connections. LearnSmart® with SmartBook® adaptive ebook helps students learn faster, study more efficiently, and retain more knowledge.
The print Teacher Wraparound Edition is built on the principles of Understanding by Design®. It includes the entire student text along with a variety of planning and instructional support for the print and digital resources. Differentiation strategies as well as project-based learning materials are included.
Chapter Tests and Lesson Quizzes:
Printed blackline master booklet of Lesson Quizzes and Chapter Tests includes all the editable tests available online. Use it to preview online test questions or print for paper and pencil tests. Chapter tests include traditional and document-based question tests.
Digital Teacher Lesson Center:
Easily access all teaching resources and classroom management tools for the curriculum.
- Differentiate with Spanish language resources, and strategies for approaching level, beyond level, and ELL students.
- Access and customize online lesson plans and explore the library of resources.
- Create assignments for whole class or individual students. Includes pre-built and customizable tests and quizzes, with a variety of question types to provide critical practice for high-stakes assessments.
Online SyncBlasts permit teachers to leverage rich, multi-media reading and writing assignments focused on social studies and current event articles. These help to engage students and cultivate reading, writing, and critical-thinking skills in a unique, and ever-growing platform. New Blasts are being added regularly; Spanish language Blasts are also included.