Pedagogy for Texas Literacy
Pedagogy for Texas Wonders
Supports Multiple Approaches
Student and teacher choice are at the heart of Texas Wonders. Resources were designed to support you and your entire classroom as you teach your way—whether you follow our recommended pathway of instruction or create your own workshop lessons using our resources.
- Makes it easy to integrate your favorite resources or use our resources with your preferred approach or framework – including workshop-focused, blended learning, project-based learning, and authentic literature-focused.
- Helps you choose your pathway with resources for modeled reading, shared reading, guided reading, and independent practice and application in every new week or text set.
- Focuses on student-centered learning, small-group teaching, and minilessons with embedded support for English Language Learners, gifted and talented students, and students in need of Tier 2 support.
- Provides resources and tools that meet students where they are and take them where they need to be, in both print and digital formats –100% print, 100% digital, or anywhere in between.
- Bases instruction on research—and is dedicated to putting best practices into the daily routines of your classroom.
Teaching the Whole Child Including Social Emotional Learning
Texas Wonders resources have been developed to support you in teaching the whole child, for success this school year – and throughout their lives.
Texas Wonders is organized around three related focus areas to help students learn how to learn and become critical thinkers:
- social emotional learning
- six habits of learning, and
- classroom culture.
Social Emotional Learning
We are proud to partner with Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization, to provide an integrated approach to SEL skills within the Texas Wonders curriculum.
SEL lesson plans are built on active engagement, carefully crafted to bolster each week’s targeted literacy skills.
- Engage Together is an active learning experience that bridges students’ prior knowledge and skills to the SEL concept.
- Explore Together is a “view and do” experience that combines a media-based investigation with collaborative learning.
- Connect the Learning through language-rich interactions that transfer students’ understandings to everyday moments and learning at home.
Family Time: We engage families in their children’s education and development through a powerful home-school partnership that strengthens SEL skills.
Six Habits of Learning
This focus area prepares students to master standards and be lifelong learners. These habits are specifically designed to encourage curiosity and critical thinking and are reinforced throughout the year and across the grades. They teach children how to learn, and to master the skills that will prepare them for the TEKS. Each unit of instruction focuses on one habit that will set students up for success.
This focus area fosters the development of your community of learners. Your Teacher’s Edition highlights opportunities to strengthen classroom relationships, such as collaboration, restating your community focus, and developing a love of reading.
The resources in Texas Wonders are designed to help you build mastery of reading, writing, speaking, listening, and thinking – across content areas – giving students the tools they’ll need for academic success in every subject and every grade.
Teaching Through Genre
Texas Wonders is grounded in a firm understanding of genre. Students read widely across connected text sets, notice and annotate, listen and speak about what they’ve noticed, and write in the genre using an expert model or mentor text. Along the way, they are learning the elements of each genre, looking at author’s craft, and gaining the skills they need to read independently:
- Informational texts
- Argumentative Text
- Realistic Fiction
Foundations of Rigor
Texas Wonders offers a thorough grounding in foundational skills, from children’s first steps in phonemic awareness and print concepts, through sophisticated academic vocabulary and advanced morphological analysis. All along the way, integrated Tier 2 lessons fill any gaps quickly.
- Step-by-step literacy building: Students are encouraged to listen before speaking, speak before writing, and think critically all along – asking questions, finding text evidence, and building a more advanced set of literacy tools. With integrated grammar, spelling, and handwriting instruction, students build their capabilities every day.
- Cross-curricular learning: As students develop fluency, they are also increasing their knowledge of science and social studies topics to prepare for broader content area learning, integrating new ideas, and making deeper connections between texts.
- Connections through authentic literature: Students dive into a world of rich authentic literature and stories that connect them to the world around them in new, inspiring ways.
Differentiated for Every Student
Differentiated instruction is built into the resources and lessons of Texas Wonders, providing all students with the scaffolding or extensions they need to be an active part of their classroom community.
- Struggling Readers: Supported with targeted support including Tier 2 resources, to help them "level up."
- Gifted and talented: Supported with additional choices to extend their reading, research areas of interest, and write about everything they’ve learned.
- English Language Learners (ELLs): Supported with instruction directly integrated into your core Texas Wonders curriculum, providing both academic and social language acquisition. Resources are built to ensure equity of access for all, from newcomers to those with advanced proficiency.
- Digital dashboard: Helps you keep track of growth and proficiency, providing instructional recommendations along the way, giving you more time to engage with students one-on-one as you teach your way.
Builds Strong, Confident Writers
In Texas Wonders, students engage in daily writing practice and learn to develop habits of writing that will equip them to communicate their thoughts and beliefs in writing – clearly and effectively. Targeted minilessons and embedded opportunities for teacher and peer conferencing help students develop into effective writers.
- Write about reading, building skills as they go
- Follow the writing process, developing a strong routine
- Work on extended writing in specific genres
- Master the close reading routine, responding to the shared read, applying skills and strategies, citing evidence, and writing.
- Read the interactive student edition with pencil in hand, talking productively with partners, and writing whenever they read.
Pedagogy for Texas Maravillas
To offer equity of academic content, the instructional plans, genre studies, themes, skills, strategies, and test preparation for Texas Maravillas mirror those of Texas Wonders. The following is unique to Texas Maravillas.
Authentic Spanish Literature
These culturally relevant texts include authentic Spanish literature by well-known, award-winning authors from across the globe. All selections are connected to the grade’s genre text sets, all with matching Lesson Cards for small-group or independent use.
Bridge to English
In schools fostering bilingual learners, the Bridge to English supports provide teachers with instruction that facilitates and expedites the transition from the Spanish language arts classroom to the English language arts classroom. These lessons address reading, writing, phonics, grammar, and usage.
Scaffolded Instruction for Language Acquisition
Scaffolded support for Spanish Language Learners is integral to the instruction in Texas Maravillas. Texts are accompanied by scaffolded features that are appropriate to students’ language proficiency levels, along with an emphasis on academic language development. Spanish Language Learners at all levels are supported in both content and language acquisition.
Workshop Experience for Texas Wonders and Texas Maravillas
Interactive Read Aloud
Create community in the classroom. Provide a model of good reading and motivate students to read on their own. Our elementary literacy programs develop background knowledge and boost comprehension and vocabulary—while promoting critical thinking skills and developing oral language.
- Listening comprehension
- Setting intention
- The Essential Question
Daily Phonics and Word Work
Both elementary literacy programs provide connected, integrated, and explicit foundational skills—building the base for strong readers. We help students move through word building, decoding, and encoding with print and digital practice.
- Phonological and phonemic awareness
- Phonics and spelling
- High frequency words
- Differentiated spelling lists
Guided Reading and Differentiation
The leveled-text collection is designed so that all learners, including ELs, across a broad range of strategic reading levels, will be motivated by captivating texts during guided reading instruction. Differentiated small group instruction challenges and supports learners.
- Leveled readers-120/grade
- Collaborative and flexible
- Skill practice
- Embedded tier 2 intervention
Writing About Reading
Throughout both elementary literacy programs, in every grade level, if students read a text, they write about it — before, during, and after reading, with genre-based writing during writing workshop time. Students are supported by explicit writing process instruction at every step—from planning to publication.
- Daily analytical writing
- Genre process writing
Independent Reading, Research, and Inquiry
Teach it your way with Connected Extended Text Sets for novel study, literature circles, book talks, and deeper independent reading. Connect reading to science and social studies content through research, inquiry, and project-based learning opportunities.
- Student choice
- Literature circles
- Novel study
Texas StudySync 6–8 Literacy Pedagogy
Writing with Embedded Grammar
- Student writing models track the evolution of a peer’s writing as students work on their own.
- Writing skills lessons break the writing process down into discrete writing tasks.
- Anonymous peer review creates an authentic audience for student writing.
- Embedded grammar instruction links mechanics and conventions to student writing tasks.
- A dynamic digital binder keeps a portfolio of all student work that follows them from grade to grade.
Lesson Specific Scaffolds
Lesson specific scaffolds include:
- Visual glossaries
- Spanish cognates
- Speaking frames
- Sentence frames
- Differentiated questions
- Audio with variable speed
- Audio text highlight
Peer-to-Peer Feedback & Collaboration
- Students learn from exemplary peers in StudySync® TV collaborative conversation and instructional videos.
- Anonymous peer review creates a community of writers and gives students an authentic audience to provide immediate feedback every time they write.
Continuously Growing Library
- Over 1,500 selections, including short stories, poems, excerpts of novels and dramas, essays, speeches, and primary source documents.
- The library also houses over 200 full-length novels and dramas, as well as an array of Spanish- language texts.
- New texts are added every month, and teachers can recommend library items.
- Search the library by genre, grade level, topic, or even Lexile™-level. Every text features reading comprehension quizzes, text-dependent questions, and writing prompts aligned to the TEKS.
Support for English Learners
- Targeted scaffolds automatically appear with every digital assignment.
- Targeted, differentiated content for beginner, intermediate, advanced, and advanced-high learners
- Emphasize explicit vocabulary instruction, language acquisition, spelling and grammar, and reading comprehension with ELL skills lessons.
- Optional language summaries in Cantonese, Haitian Creole, Mandarin, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. Arabic coming soon.
Support for Students with Disabilities
- Student content is interoperable with standard screen readers.
- The digital subscription provides a high contrast option and uses visual clues in addition to colors to convey information.
- The student platform can be used by keystrokes or voice commands for students who are unable to use a mouse.
Support for Struggling and Gifted & Talented Learners
- Intentional scaffolds like visual glossaries, annotation guides, and writing supports help approaching-level students interact meaningfully with the core content.
- Lesson-specific suggestions drive beyond grade-level learners to stretch and extend their learning.
- Support provided for foundational skills.
- Texts range from grades two to 12.
Top 10 Reasons to Choose StudySync
- Flexible digital and print resources including media-rich technology tools that transform the traditional literature program into an engaging experience.
- Complete grammar lessons that are integrated in extended writing projects with hundreds of mini-lessons for continued support.
- Access to a growing digital library of over 1600 texts, including works by Texas authors and a variety of current & classic publications including novels with full instruction.
- All reading, writing, language, and speaking & listening instruction seamlessly integrated into one core path.
- Provides daily reading and writing opportunities in the areas of social studies, science, and current events at three Lexile® levels with high-interest Blasts.
- A one-of-a-kind writing platform with embedded plagiarism tracker, which allows for integrated teacher and peer review. A digital portfolio of all student work that follows students from year to year.
- Rigorous reading routines teach students to analyze and respond to increasingly complex literature, while encouraging collaborative conversations and using comparative texts within and across genres.
- Unparalleled support for all learners, including ELs, with point of use, auto-assigned scaffolding.
- Tech-enabled scaffolds automatically appear in the digital environment ensuring equity of access for all learners.
- Comprehensive progress monitoring, formative and summative assessments, TEKS tracking, and reteaching tools help guide every student toward achievement.