Mader, Biology, ©2022, 14e
Trusted by educators to support AP success, Mader Biology blends engaging instruction with approachable material that is accessible for diverse learners. With remarkable experience and a respected voice in the field of biology, author Sylvia Mader encourages students to explore the subject with inquiring minds. Her easy-to-understand writing style allows the unified nature of biology to brilliantly unfold on the page. Stunning, illustrative artwork and photos work together with powerful pedagogical tools to support and enhance key concepts. Mader Biology is fully aligned—in print and digital—to the College Board’s AP Curriculum Framework. Features include:
- An AP Introductory Chapter and AP Unit Openers that detail how chapters within the unit align to the Framework.
- AP Chapter Openers that address the AP units and AP topics covered in each chapter.
- High-interest, boxed features to reinforce the AP Big Ideas.
- End-of-section “AP Check Your Progress” reviews.
- AP Unit Review Guides to reinforce concepts in the context of the course and Exam.
- AP Chapter summaries and AP Assessments with multiple-choice and free-response questions correlated to the topics and learning objectives in each chapter.
- AP Test Prep with interactive Unit Reviews covering 65 topics organized around the Framework.
- Two full AP practice exams.
- Virtual labs.
- An AP Edition eBook and a Smartbook that delivers adaptive, personalized reading experience anytime, anywhere.
- Two complete Teacher Manuals, one traditional and an alternate organized around the College Board AP Units.
- CHAPTER 1 Biology: The Study of Life
Unit 1 The Cell
- CHAPTER 2 Basic Chemistry
- CHAPTER 3 The Chemistry of Organic Molecules
- CHAPTER 4 Cell Structure and Function
- CHAPTER 5 Membrane Structure and Function
- CHAPTER 6 Metabolism: Energy and Enzymes
- CHAPTER 7 Photosynthesis
- CHAPTER 8 Cellular Respiration
Unit 2 Genetic Basis of Life
- CHAPTER 9 The Cell Cycle and Cellular Reproduction
- CHAPTER 10 Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction
- CHAPTER 11 Mendelian Patterns of Inheritance
- CHAPTER 12 Molecular Biology of the Gene
- CHAPTER 13 Regulation of Gene Expression
- CHAPTER 14 Biotechnology and Genomics
Unit 3 Evolution
- CHAPTER 15 Darwin and Evolution
- CHAPTER 16 How Populations Evolve
- CHAPTER 17 Speciation and Macroevolution
- CHAPTER 18 The Origin and History of Life
- CHAPTER 19 Taxonomy, Systematics, and Phylogeny
Unit 4 Microbial Evolution
- CHAPTER 20 Viruses, Bacteria, and Archaea
- CHAPTER 21 Protist Evolution and Diversity
- CHAPTER 22 Fungi Evolution and Diversity
Unit 5 Plant Evolution and Biology
- CHAPTER 23 Plant Evolution and Diversity
- CHAPTER 24 Flowering Plants: Structure and Organization
- CHAPTER 25 Flowering Plants: Nutrition and Transport
- CHAPTER 26 Flowering Plants: Control of Growth Responses
- CHAPTER 27 Flowering Plants: Reproduction
Unit 6 Animal Evolution and Diversity
- CHAPTER 28 Invertebrate Evolution
- CHAPTER 29 Vertebrate Evolution
- CHAPTER 30 Human Evolution
Unit 7 Comparative Animal Biology
- CHAPTER 31 Animal Organization and Homeostasis
- CHAPTER 32 Circulation and Cardiovascular Systems
- CHAPTER 33 The Lymphatic and Immune System
- CHAPTER 34 Digestive Systems and Nutrition
- CHAPTER 35 Respiratory Systems
- CHAPTER 36 Body Fluid Regulation and Excretory Systems
- CHAPTER 37 Neurons and Nervous Systems
- CHAPTER 38 Sense Organs
- CHAPTER 39 Locomotion and Support Systems
- CHAPTER 40 Hormones and Endocrine Systems
- CHAPTER 41 Reproductive Systems
- CHAPTER 42 Animal Development and Aging
- CHAPTER 43 Animal Behavior
Unit 8 Ecology
- CHAPTER 44 Population Ecology
- CHAPTER 45 Community and Ecosystem Ecology
- CHAPTER 46 Major Ecosystems of the Biosphere
- CHAPTER 47 Conservation of Biodiversity