Entering the World of Work
Grades: 9 - 12
Entering the World of Work is aimed at career preparation classes and may be used for a wide range of grades, from 6 to 12. Created to help students with special needs develop the skills they need to succeed in their careers and in life, Entering the World of Work focuses on career issues, money management, and balancing work and personal life.
Entering the World of Work is aimed at career preparation classes and may be used for a wide range of grades, from 6 to 12. It is designed for use in integrated classrooms, i.e., classrooms that combine general-education students and special-needs students. Most of these students have difficulty with reading and mathematics: building reading skills is a primary focus of the program, and building math skills is a second focus. There is no other careers book on the market with the same target audience. Key topics covered in Entering the World of Work are:
- Career awareness and researching careers
- Self-exploration and the selection of a preferred career
- Making career decisions
- Finding job openings, applying for jobs, and interviewing
- Professional behavior on the job and in job situations
- Independent living skills such as money management, using technology, balancing work and personal life, etc.