Core-Plus Mathematics: Course 1
Funded by the National Science Foundation, Core-Plus Mathematics is a four-year, international-like high school mathematics program that aligns well with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, including the Standards of Mathematical Practice.
Each course features coherent, connected units that advance student understanding and skills in algebra and functions, geometry and trigonometry, statistics and probability, and discrete mathematics.
The series builds on theme of mathematics as sense-making. Through problem-based investigations featuring realistic contexts, students develop a rich and connected understanding of important mathematics that makes sense to them.
Core-Plus Mathematics provides extensive teacher support and a suite of free available mathematical software tools
About the Program
- Development of mathematics as an active science of patterns involving quantity and change, shape and motion, data and chance, and counting and algorithms
- Courses organized around interwoven strands of
- algebra and functions
- geometry and trigonometry
- statistics and probability
- discrete mathematics
- Mathematical strands developed in coherent, focused units connected by fundamental unifying ideas
- Mathematics developed in context with an emphasis on applications and mathematical modeling
- Student-centered investigations promote active learning through problem solving
- Full and appropriate use of technology tools, including new CPMP-Tools® software for each course
Core-Plus Mathematics: Contemporary Mathematics In Context, Course 1, Teacher Classroom Resources
Core-Plus Mathematics: Contemporary Mathematics In Context, Course 1 Part A, Teacher's Guide'
Core-Plus Mathematics: Contemporary Mathematics in Context, Courses 1-3, TeacherWorks Plus CD-ROM
Implementing the Core-Plus Mathematics Curriculum
CORE-PLUS MATHEMATICS COURSE 1 STUDENT STUDY GUIDE Teacher's EDITION'
Core-Plus Mathematics Course 1, Student Edition
Core-Plus Mathematics: Contemporary Mathematics In Context, Course 1, Student Study Guide
Additional Details & Resources
- Core-Plus Mathematics: Summary of Key Research Findings
This provides a summary of twenty years of research findings for the Core-Plus Mathematics Project (CPMP).
- Annotated Bibliography
A summary of various research articles featuring the Core-Plus Mathematics Program is presented.
- The Core-Plus Mathematics Project: Perspectives & Student Achievement
This chapter provides an overview of the CPMP curriculum in terms of its theoretical framework and a profile of student outcomes.
- Responding to Calls for Change in High School Mathematics: Implications for collegiate mathematics
This article provides research evidence for the Core-Plus Mathematics Project (CPMP). Implications for collegiate mathematics are also discussed.
- Core-Plus Mathematics: Design and Development
This research paper provides information on the conceptualization, development, and evaluation of the Core-Plus Mathematics curriculum materials.
Non-Randomized Controlled Studies
- The Effects of Content Organization and Curriculum Implementation on Students’ Mathematics Learning in Second-Year High School Courses
This article describes further research on student performance dependent on the organization of the math curriculum: integrated vs single-subject.
- Curriculum and Implementation Effects on High School Students’ Mathematics Learning From Curricula Representing Subject-Specific and Integrated Content Organizations
This article provides research on student learning dependent on the organization of the math curriculum: integrated vs single-subject.
- Testing the Problem-Solving Skills of Students in an NCTM-oriented Curriculum
This paper reports on the performance of students using the Core-Plus program, particularly noting how they displayed such qualities as engagement, eagerness, communication, flexibility, and curiosity to a much higher degree than traditional students did.
- Effects of Standards-Based Mathematics Education: A Study of the Core-Plus Mathematics Project Algebra and Functions Strand
This article details a study of the Core-Plus Algebra and Functions strand.
Other Scientific Research
- A Matched Study of Washington State 10th Grade Assessment Scores of Students in Schools Using The Core-Plus Mathematics Program
This article describes a matched comparison of performance in schools in Washington using Core-Plus vs schools using other mathematics programs.
- A Five-Year Study of the First Edition of the Core-Plus Mathematics Curriculum
This volume of research details five years of studies of the Core-Plus Mathematics Project (CPMP).
- Developing Mathematical Literacy: A Preliminary Report
This report gives an overview of longitudinal research studying student performance on the Ability to do Quantitative Thinking subtest of the nationally-normed Iowa Tests of Educational Development. The report also details the performance of Core-Plus students on an assessment built using released items from the TIMSS general mathematical knowledge assessment.
- Reconsidering the Study of Mathematics Instructional Practices: The Importance of Curricular Context in Understanding Local and Global Teacher Change
This report details a study of mathematics instructional practices, particularly from a teacher perspective, in Core-Plus classrooms.
- Teacher Variables That Relate to Student Achievement When Using a Standards-Based Curriculum
This study examines the mathematical instructional practices that relate to student achievement in Core-Plus classrooms.
- A Comparison of Korean and American Secondary School Textbooks: The Case of Quadratic Equations
A selection of Korean mathematics textbooks were compared to Core-Plus mathematics textbooks to examine the coverage of a specific mathematical topic.
Evidence of Success
- Contemporary Mathematics in Context Evaluation Results
This report summarizes more than five years of evidence on classroom observations, student achievement outcomes, and comments from teachers and students which collectively led to the program being labeled as exemplary by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Comprehensive Mathematics Program Evaluation in Wayzata, MN
This report provides results on ACT, SAT, Advanced Placement Calculus and Statistics exams, and on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment from 1999-2005 for Wayzata High School students. During this seven-year period, the 2002 through 2005 high school graduates had studied courses based on the Core-Plus Mathematics program, Contemporary Mathematics in Context.
- CPMP Student Performance at Holland Christian High School
This report provides background information about the school, their implementation plan, course placement, and evaluation plan. ACT scores, Michigan Education Assessment Program (MEAP) scores, Ability to Do Quantitative Thinking test results (for a sample of students), and Advanced Placement Calculus and Statistics information is reported. The report covers a 12-year period.
- CPMP Student Performance at Malcolm Price Laboratory School
This report provides background information on the school, sequence of courses, and student performance on ITED Mathematics subtest, ACT Mathematics subtest, and completion rates of calculus for courses at the University of Northern Iowa. The report covers an eleven-year period.