Everyday Mathematics, Second Edition Update ©2004
Everyday Mathematics is organized into six mathematical content strands that cover a number of skills and concepts:
- Patterns, Functions & Algebra
- Measurement & Reference Frames
- Data & Chance
This provides a rich yet balanced curriculum – attention to numeration and computation without neglecting geometry, data, and algebraic thinking. Every strand is addressed throughout all grade levels of the program. Each grade level builds on and extends concept understanding so that children approach each new challenge from a firmly established foundation. Within the research-based content of Everyday Mathematics, emphasis is placed on:
- Alignment with NCTM Principles and Standards
- A problem-solving approach based on everyday situations that develops critical thinking.
- Developing readiness through hands-on activities and daily routines
- Frequent practice of basic skills through ongoing program routines and mathematical games.
- A spiral instructional approach that revisits topics regularly to ensure full concept development.
- Activities that explore a wide variety of mathematical content and offer opportunities for students to apply their basic fact skills to geometry, measurement, and algebra.
- Cooperative learning through partner and small-group activities
- Ongoing assessment throughout the year
- Strengthening the home and school partnership
Teachers who participated in the development of Everyday Mathematics reported enthusiastically on a number of positive results:
- The exploration of patterns and the extension of mathematical concepts make it easier to provide challenging activities for more able students without intimidating those who are less able.
- The program helps students take responsibility for their own mathematics learning by encouraging them to share their thinking and ideas with peers in a cooperative learning environment.
- Teachers become part of a team with common goals and are encouraged to share ideas, resources, and anecdotes with each other.
- Parents are enthusiastic about the development of their children’s mathematical abilities and thinking skills.
Everyday Mathematics believes in giving teachers the tools they need to help students meet, and often exceed, the expectations we have of them. The program is committed to setting world-class mathematics standards for our nation’s schools!