Literacy Strategies in Mathematics
About the Program
During this course, participants learn to build student literacy within a specific curriculum context. They watch video commentary by teacher educator, Douglas Fisher, Ph.D., as well as excerpts from classroom lessons in which teachers use various literacy building instructional strategies to support mathematics instruction. They also will complete several online activities and develop a standards-based lesson plan that integrates literacy strategies into a mathematics lesson of their choice.
- Understand the role of the mathematics teacher in supporting literacy.
- Review and expand your awareness of instructional strategies and techniques to support literacy in mathematics
- Create a mathematics lesson plan.
- Explore classroom resources and professional development opportunities.
RttT/SIG Assurances covered:
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Turning Around the Lowest Performing Schools
Audience: Building Administrators, Coaches, and Teachers
Number of Participants: 1
Delivery Method: Online
Time: 3 to 5 hours
Douglas Fisher, Ph.D., is Professor of Language and Literacy Education in the Department of Teacher Education at San Diego State University and a classroom teacher at Health Sciences High & Middle College. He is a member of the California Reading Hall of Fame and is the recipient of an International Reading Association Celebrate Literacy Award, the Farmer award for excellence in writing from the National Council of Teachers of English, as well as a Christa McAuliffe award for excellence in teacher education. He has published numerous articles on improving student achievement as well as books, such as Creating Literacy-rich Schools for Adolescents (with Gay Ivey), Checking for Understanding (with Nancy Frey) and Content-Area Conversations (with Carol Rothenberg and Nancy Frey). He is also a board member of the Literacy Research Association (formerly the National Reading Conference.)
To learn about the specific purchase options for this program, please contact our Customer Service team at 800-338-3987
- We have stopped printing many old products, but we might have some stock in our warehouse.
- Select legacy products are available on Create® EasyOrder.