Tegrity's Remote Proctoring capability taps the power of the Tegrity recording environment to ensure the integrity of exams taken off campus.
Tegrity's Remote Proctoring feature ensures the integrity of exams taken off campus, without the need to send the student to an expensive, and often distant proctoring facility. Rather, using a webcam and microphone the student can take their exam at their home while Tegrity records video of the student taking the test, along with the associated screen activity. The recordings cannot be paused while the student takes the exam, and when completed, the recording is immediately uploaded for instructors to review at up to 8x speed.
Institutional and Student Benefits
Institution and Student Benefits Security: An advanced and integrated technology service, Tegrity Remote Proctor helps institutions monitor students and prevent cheating during online test-taking. The software provides a recording of all exam session data including video, audio and keystroke information and prevents pausing or re-taking. The software can also be integrated with market-leading browser lock-down software as an additional level of test-taking integrity. Authentication: Integration-ready for any LMS or course registration platform, Tegrity Remote Proctor displays the institution’s test policy acceptance procedure and records an image of the student’s ID. In concert with the security features, the software’s authentication process adheres to most accreditation requirements for distance learning. Cost and Time Savings: Tegrity Remote Proctor eliminates the requirement for students to drive to a test-taking center or campus and pay additional fees, significantly reducing the institutional costs and logistics of securing proctored classrooms. Students have the flexibility to take their tests or exams on their own schedule and within an agreeable window of time. Institutions find that they can save time as well as experience a smoother testing process. Institutional Integration and Branding: The software provides integration with all LMS platforms. Additionally, it can enable an institution to maintain the consistent look and feel of their program or school throughout the entire test and examination process.
When the student is ready to take a proctored exam, they click “Test” on the Tegrity interface. The student is then taken through a simple workflow to record their exam, as follows:
- Agree to the testing policy
- The institutional test policy, controlled by the Tegrity Administrator is presented to the student, and they are asked to accept it in order to proceed.
- Optionally, the individual instructor for the course also has the option of adding a course-level testing policy for the student to review and accept.
- The student is asked to hold up their student ID or other form of identification to their webcam in order to prove their identity. They then click a button to take a still image of their ID. If the image isn't clear, they can retake the photo.
- When the student is ready to begin the online exam, they click start and Tegrity records the screen activity, plus video of the student taking the exam. Remote Proctoring recordings do not allow the student to pause the recording.
- When the exam is completed, students click the stop button on the Tegrity toolbar icon, and the exam is uploaded to the appropriate course, automatically.
- The instructor clicks on the "Tests" tab in Tegrity, then selects the recording to review it at up to 8x speed; although most instructors do not review every minute of each exam. Rather, they will check at random, or skim through them, as the fact that the recording was made is typically all that’s needed to prohibit cheating.
Tegrity Remote Proctoring feature has helped our customers meet certification standards for their online programs, extended access to students with disabilities, and saved up to $40,000 per course in proctoring facility fees. Tegrity Remote Proctoring is included in the Tegrity Campus lecture capture service, or can be purchased separately.
- PC or Mac
- Internet connection
The Remote Proctoring feature is often used in conjunction with the LockDown Browser™ from Respondus, which is is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard, ANGEL, Desire2Learn, WebCT, or Moodle. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser in conjunction with Tegrity's Remote Proctoring feature, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading.