Published August 31, 2021
Instructors - along with everything we are managing during this unprecedented time, focusing on mental health is more important than ever. Students are experiencing unusual levels of anxiety, depression, fear, and isolation. It is important to identify mental health as an element of student wellbeing; address areas of concerns and specific mental health conditions; and provide on-campus and community resources to support students. Students need to feel heard and supported and understand that they are not alone in their search for mental wellbeing. I have been teaching undergraduate courses at UC Santa Barbara in health, nutrition, and fitness for over 20 years, and I put together a little 30-minute lecture that you can easily implement into your courses, to provide essential information on mental and emotional health. This lecture is presented with clear slides that are narrated by me, to provide your students with current information on mental health, how to identify conditions and most importantly how to find resources for support.
Also: here are some multiple-choice questions you can use for polling, or quizzing. (Best single answer.)
- What percentage of students reported that stress has affected their academic performance?
- Which of the following is considered a mental health disorder?
- Mood disorder
- Personality disorder
- Eating disorder
- All are considered mental health disorders
- Behaviors that affect Mental health and wellness include:
- Physical Activity
- all of the above
- The definition of Wellness is:
- the state of being in good health, especially as an actively pursued goal.
- the act of being under the care of a physician
- Taking all of your prescribed medications
- The state of being rich and famous
- What percentage of students reported that they have felt overwhelmed at some point in the last year?
Answers: 1. (c) 2. (d) 3. (e) 4. (a) 5. (d)