Cozby: Methods in Behavioral Research, 13th edition
Methods in Behavioral Research continues to guide students toward success by helping them study smarter and more efficiently. In tandem with SmartBook, McGraw Hill's adaptive and personalized reading experience, Cozby and Bates provide helpful pedagogy, rich examples, and a clear voice in their approach to methodological decision-making.
ISBNS: 1259676986 / 9781259676987
Publication Date: 10/03/17
Click here for a message from the authors about the new edition
NEW IN THE THIRTEENTH EDITION
The thirteenth edition of Methods in Behavioral Research includes dozens of new references and updates. Here is a list of major changes as they appear by chapter.
- Updated introduction on importance or understanding research.
- Updated Figure 1.2 uses replaces television watching example with playing violent video games.
- Updated illustrative article.
- New opening section on exploring past research.
- New example of “transition” paragraph in a research paper.
- New discussion of the importance of literature reviews and how they compare with meta-analysis.
- New discussion about why it can be difficult to evaluate the quality of a source in today’s information gathering.
- Refined discussion and new photo of the Milgram Experiment.
- Updated discussion on the preamble to the APA ethics code.
- New discussion on privacy and the ethical responsibility of researchers.
- New discussion of federal regulations of IRBs, especially what is meant by systematic and generalizable knowledge.
- Clarified the definition of construct validity.
Table of Contents
1 SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING OF BEHAVIOR 1
Importance of Research Methods 2
Ways of Knowing 4
Goals of Behavioral Science 8
Basic and Applied Research 12
Study Terms 18
Review Questions 18
2 WHERE TO START 20
Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Predictions 21
Sources of Ideas 22
Types of Research Reports 28
Exploring Past Research 35
Study Terms 44
Review Questions 44
By prompting students to engage with key concepts, while continually adapting to their individual needs, Connect activates learning and empowers students to take control resulting in better grades and increased retention rates. Proven online content integrates seamlessly with our adaptive technology, and helps build student confidence outside of the classroom.Learn More
Available within Connect, SmartBook actively tailors content to the individual student- The more a student interacts with SmartBook, the better it gets to know what they know and what they don’t know, helping students to maximize study time. By providing students with a safe place to make mistakes, showing them the areas they need to work on most, and by giving them consistent, personalized feedback at the exact moment they need it, SmartBook helps them to bridge their knowledge gaps and come to class prepared.Learn More