At McGraw-Hill Education, we care deeply about privacy. We do not sell personally identifiable information (PII), nor do we use PII from education records to market to students. To that end, we have launched a new McGraw-Hill Education Privacy Center, which you can find at www.mheducation.com/privacy. This center provides more detailed information around how we collect, use, store, and share your PII. We are in the process of updating our privacy links to our new Privacy Center, which should be completed for the product and/or site you visited soon. Please contact our Global Privacy Office with any questions at email@example.com.
Please note that Privacy Notices advising Customers and Prospects as to the specific uses that are being made of their Personally-Identifiable Information by specific Business Units within McGraw-Hill Education may also be modified from time to time to reflect changes in business practices. In this event, those changes will appear in the relevant Privacy Notices.
McGraw-Hill Education will also comply with applicable non-U.S. laws that impose additional responsibilities on McGraw-Hill Education beyond those stated in this Policy in connection with the treatment of Personally-Identifiable Information about its Customers and Prospects.
Our Policy recognizes two kinds of personal data that deserve varying levels of protection. Personally-Identifiable Information includes, for example, e-mail addresses, billing information, employment status and "Click Stream" data that tracks user activity on a Web site or online service. A subset of that category, Sensitive Data, deserves additional safeguards. Sensitive Data includes, by way of example, Social Security numbers, personal financial data (such as specific salary, net worth or individual portfolio information) and information about specific medical conditions.
McGraw-Hill Education is committed to using all reasonable efforts to abide by the following Policy:
- Collection. Personally-Identifiable Information will only be collected to the extent that McGraw-Hill Education deems reasonably necessary to serve a legitimate business purpose. Please be aware that if you disclose Personally-Identifiable Information on Web site message boards or chat areas, that information may be collected and used by third parties without our knowledge and may result in unsolicited communications from third parties. Such activities are beyond the control of McGraw-Hill Education.
- Notification. Customers and Prospects will be notified (usually at the point where Personally-Identifiable Information is collected) as to the uses the Business Unit may make of the Personally-Identifiable Information collected from them.
- Choice: Opt Out for External Distribution of Personally-Identifiable Information. Customers and Prospects will be given the opportunity to refuse permission for External Distribution of their name, address or other Personally-Identifiable Information through an Opt Out mechanism. (External Distribution does not include certain limited distributions such as sharing Personally-Identifiable Information with an entity working on behalf of McGraw-Hill Education to serve our customers; transfer of Personally-Identifiable Information in conjunction with the sale or similar transfer of a Business Unit; or the disclosure of Personally-Identifiable Information in connection with legal proceedings, investigations of crimes or other wrongdoing. However, sharing Personally-Identifiable Information with an entity working on behalf of McGraw-Hill Education or transferring Personally-Identifiable Information in conjunction with the sale or similar transfer of a Business Unit is considered an Onward Transfer and will be handled as described below.)
- Security. Appropriate safeguards will be implemented in an effort to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of Personally-Identifiable Information about our Customers and Prospects.
- Access: Review and Correction. Procedures have been developed through which Customers and Prospects can, upon request, review and correct the Personally-Identifiable Information that has been collected from them by McGraw-Hill Education. These procedures may not, however, compromise the security, integrity and privacy of either McGraw-Hill Education' own proprietary databases or databases licensed from third party companies.
- Sensitive Data. The collection and use of Sensitive Data carries with it special obligations and responsibilities in order to maintain the data's security, integrity and privacy. Sensitive Data will not be rented or otherwise made available for External Distribution outside McGraw-Hill Education (although it may be made available through Onward Transfer as described below). Customers and Prospects will be given the opportunity to refuse permission for their Sensitive Data to be distributed outside of the Business Unit that collected the Sensitive Data through use of an Opt Out mechanism for Internal Distribution within McGraw-Hill Education.
- Onward Transfer. Whenever McGraw-Hill Education permits a third party outside of McGraw-Hill Education to access Personally-Identifiable Information through either External Distribution or Onward Transfer, commercially appropriate procedures will be followed to help ensure that the Information is used only for authorized purposes and by authorized persons in a manner consistent with the choices Customers and Prospects have made under this Policy, and that the security, integrity and privacy of the information is maintained. Please note that our Web sites may contain links to other Web Sites that have their own privacy policies and practices. While McGraw-Hill Education will employ commercially appropriate procedures to help ensure that your information is only used for authorized purposes as described above, McGraw-Hill Education cannot make any guarantees with respect to the actions or policies of such third parties.
Children: Collection and use of information from children in the U.S. under the age of thirteen will be made in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998. Specifically, McGraw-Hill Education will:
- Provide parents or guardians with Notice of our information practices;
- Obtain prior verifiable parental or guardian consent for the collection, use, and/or disclosure of Personally-identifiable Information from children, which may be obtained from the school;
- Provide a parent or guardian, upon request, with the means to review the Personally-Identifiable Information collected from his or her child;
- Provide a parent or guardian with the opportunity to prevent the further use of Personally-Identifiable Information that has already been collected, or the future collection of Personally-Identifiable Information, from that child;
- Limit collection of Personally-Identifiable Information for a child's online participation in a game, prize offer or other activities to Personally-Identifiable Information that is reasonably necessary to participate in the activity; and
- Establish procedures to protect the confidentiality, security and integrity of the Personally-Identifiable Information collected from children.
Questions and comments?
The Corporation also has established a group of privacy officials consisting of members of each of our business segments. The privacy officials will oversee implementation of and compliance with our Policy and will adapt the Policy to reflect changes in technology and Customer expectations.
The privacy officials are also charged with handling unresolved Customer concerns. You can reach them by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to: Privacy Official, McGraw-Hill Education, 2 Penn Plaza, 20th Floor, New York, N.Y. 10121.