Understanding Economics © 2018
Grades: 9 - 12
Understanding Economics gives high school students what they need to learn and interact with both theoretical and applied economics as it looks at the world through the lenses of both “Wall Street” and “Main Street.” The program's thoughtful design ensures that students have what they need to build analytical skills and an economic vocabulary through well-written narrative, essential questions, fine-tuned assessment, and real-world examples throughout.
• Focus on the big ideas with an accessible print student text built around Essential Questions, enduring ideas, and correlated to the Council on Economic Education standards.
• Maximize lesson comprehension with the Reading Help Desk which helps students build an economic vocabulary, enhance reading strategies, improve note-taking skills, and better utilize graphic organizers. Get additional material online with the Guided Notes tool, as well as additional reading levels for the student text.
• Cultivate critical thinking and analytical skills with the Debates feature.
• Focus on relevant, real-world topics with Case Studies as well as Global Economy and You features.
• Learn more about economic skills and employment options with the Careers feature.
• Foster practical, real-world understanding by marrying theoretical and practical economics while building personal financial literacy skills.
This interactive print worktext is built around essential questions and permits students to develop their inquiry skills using analysis, primary sources, and evidence-based writing. Each chapter culminates in a Taking Action activity designed to translate learning into informed action.
Digital Student Learning Center:
Includes the full student edition and inquiry journal, plus engaging resources that provide context and bring the narrative to life such as maps, timelines, infographics, primary sources, images, and videos. Includes audio, annotation tools, and approaching level option for the student text. Cumulative Hands-On Chapter Projects and additional Technology Extension activity provide authentic performance assessment. LearnSmart® with SmartBook® adaptive ebook helps students learn faster, study more efficiently, and retain more knowledge.
The print Teacher Wraparound Edition is built on the principles of Understanding by Design®. It includes the entire student text along with a variety of planning and instructional support for the print and digital resources. Differentiation strategies as well as project-based learning materials are included.
Chapter Tests and Lesson Quizzes:
Printed blackline master booklet of Lesson Quizzes and Chapter Tests includes all the editable tests available online. Use it to preview online test questions or print for paper and pencil tests. Chapter tests include traditional and document-based question tests.
Digital Teacher Lesson Center:
Easily access all teaching resources and classroom management tools for the curriculum.
Online SyncBlasts permit teachers to leverage rich, multi-media reading and writing assignments focused on social studies and current event articles. These help to engage students and cultivate reading, writing, and critical-thinking skills in a unique, and ever-growing platform. New Blasts are being added regularly; Spanish language Blasts are also included.