NEW YORK, February 28 2019 – McGraw-Hill today announced its full schedule of programming for this year’s SXSW EDU conference, where thousands of educators, students, and innovators will gather to discuss what’s next in education. From March 5th-7th, McGraw-Hill’s thought leaders and partners will speak on stage and participate in the following sessions focused on everything from learning science to social and emotional learning.
Learning Science Truths All Educators Should Know About (Panel) Learning scientists from the McGraw-Hill Learning Science Advisory Board will share insights that every educator should know and apply to their own learning and classroom instruction.
Tuesday, March 5 | 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. CT | Austin Convention Center, Room 17B
- Robert Feldman, Senior Advisor to the Chancellor, University of Massachusetts Amherst, and Chair of the McGraw-Hill Learning Science Advisory Board
- Ryan Baker, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania
- Jennifer Kotler Clarke, Vice President, Content Research and Evaluation, Sesame Workshop
- Tanya Joosten, Director of Digital Learning Research and Development, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Empowering English Learners in Changing Times (Talk) Participants will explore various frameworks for empowering English learners and their families, especially those who have undergone trauma as a result of migration or conflict.
Wednesday, March 6 | 11 – 11:30 a.m. CT | Austin Convention Center, Ballroom F
- Ed Lamprich, Vice President, English Language Learner Strategy and Director of World Languages, McGraw-Hill
- Laura Lukens, English Language Learner Program Coordinator and Education Consultant, North Kansas City Schools
- Diane August, Managing Researcher, American Institutes for Research
Neuromyths: Five Myths About How People Learn (Future20 talk) A learning scientist will discuss five common neuromyths in education and what the research really shows.
Wednesday, March 6 | 5:30 – 5:50 p.m. CT | Hilton Austin, Salon J
- Claire Cook, Learning Scientist, McGraw-Hill
Beyond ABCs and 123s: Going Deeper with SEL (Panel) This panel will offer insights and practical advice from leading researchers on delivering culturally responsive social and emotional learning (SEL) practices to engage and empower early learners.
Wednesday, March 6 | 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. CT | Austin Convention Center, Room 17A
- Heath Morrison, President, School Group, McGraw-Hill
- Akimi Gibson, Vice President, Sesame Workshop
- Tracy Spinrad, Professor and Author, Arizona State University
- Roberto Rivera, Chief Empowerment Officer, Good Life Alliance / 7 Mindsets
Does This Technology Work? Rethinking Efficacy Research (Future20 talk) This panel will share new ideas on how to structure efficacy research and demonstrate that learning technology is effective.
Thursday, March 7 | 11:30 a.m. – 11:50 a.m. CT | Austin Convention Center, Ballroom E
- Shirin Mojarad, Lead Data Scientist, McGraw-Hill
To keep up with McGraw-Hill at SXSW EDU 2019, follow us on Twitter: @MHEducation