How We Make Stuff Now: Turn Ideas into Products That Build Successful Businesses, 1st Edition
* The estimated amount of time this product will be on the market is based on a number of factors, including faculty input to instructional design and the prior revision cycle and updates to academic research-which typically results in a revision cycle ranging from every two to four years for this product. Pricing subject to change at any time.
This step-by-step DIY guide shows entrepreneurs how to create and launch new products, package and market to consumers, and build a thriving business.
Do you have an idea for a business but don’t know where to start? Thanks to high-speed Internet, game-changing technology, and innovative new platforms, you can go from idea to marketplace on a shoestring budget—and join the growing movement of successful Makers who’ve built their businesses from the ground up.
In How We Make Stuff Now, Jules Pieri—cofounder and CEO of The Grommet, a product launch platform that helps innovative products reach a community of millions—guides you through every step of the consumer product creation process. Learn how to:
• Develop an idea with vision and heart
• Tap into established sources of expertise
• Formulate and refine your business plan
• Design a product from prototype to perfection
• Find the funds you need to launch your business
• Explore innovative packaging, manufacturing, and distribution options
• Market your product via social media and online sites
• Manage your finances and inventory to maximize profits
• Expand your business and grow into the global marketplace
You’ll find fascinating case studies of successful startups—and discover how the smartest entrepreneurs overcome obstacles, solve challenges, and rise above the competition to deliver innovative products that consumers can’t resist. It’s all here in one easy-to-use action plan.
Whether you’re a self-starting newcomer to the world of e-commerce, a member of the Maker Movement, or an experienced entrepreneur, the first crucial step in your journey to turning little ideas into big businesses is learning How We Make Stuff Now.
Starting Your Business
1 A BRIEF HISTORY OF CONSUMER PRODUCTS
2 WHERE DO GREAT IDEAS COME FROM?
3 EDUCATING THE NEW ENTREPRENEUR
4 TAPPING ESTABLISHED EXPERTISE
5 MARKET RESEARCH
Building the 16 Competencies for Success
6 DESIGN AND DOCUMENTATION
7 INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
9 INDUSTRY ACCESS AND EXPOSURE
14 RETAIL DISTRIBUTION
15 DIRECT TO CONSUMER (DTC)
17 E- COMMERCE AND PAYMENTS
18 CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
19 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
20 INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
21 GROWING INTO THE FUTURE
ABOUT THE MAKING OF THE BOOK COVER