Doors to Discovery
Doors to Discovery is a Pre-kindergarten program that builds a foundation of oral language, phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, and concepts of print and a love of books. Literacy enriched learning centers provide a child-centered approach throughout the curriculum. Family literacy activities foster partnerships between the school, home, family, and teacher. Professional development supports the teacher with "at-your-fingertips" resources, in order to launch a love of literature.
Through engaging storybooks, enchanting literacy-learning environments, and authentic discoveries, preschoolers are given the "keys" that will open the door to lifelong literacy. Teacher support throughout the Discovery Guide (TG) fosters built-in professional development and "at-your-fingertips" resources, in order to launch a love of literature!
- Includes key elements of early literacy - Oral Language Development, Phonological Awareness, Alphabet Knowledge, and Concepts of Print
- Correlated to key national, state, and local guidelines, including: IRA/NAEYC position paper regarding predictors of literary success, High/Scope, and Creative Curriculum
- Successfully implemented in a variety of early learning classrooms, including Head Start, private child care, public schools, and Early Reading First Centers of Excellence
- Shared Literacy features = Each Exploration includes four (4) Big Books that focus on fiction, nonfiction, mathematical concepts, and interactive oral language and vocabulary development.
- Developmentally appropriate activities engage children in differentiated learning centers that support literacy
- Opportunities for parallel and integrated family learning activities that enrich, extend, and teach the curriculum, recognizing parents as the first "teachers" of their children
- Assessment strategies are integrated into the Doors to Discovery program. A separate Assessment booklet accompanies each Exploration, complete with rationale, research, blackline masters and assessment management ideas.
- Literacy Learning Centers – provide cross-curricular instruction; integration of play/imagination of children and teachers
Doors to Discovery includes eight (8) Explorations, sold together or separately:
- New Place, New Faces
- Vroom! Vroom!
- Tabby Tiger's Diner
- Build it Big!
- Healthy Me!
- Discovery Street
- Our Water Wonderland
- Backyard Detectives
Components (per unit):
- 4 Big Books, 4 student books
- 1 Teacher Guide
- Big Scrapbook
- Story Character Props
- Audio CD
- Song & Rhyme Posters
- Activity Cards
- Word Cards
- Exploration At-A-Glance (poster)
- Additional items include Sound, Rhyme, and Letter Time – Alphabet Posters, Alphabet Frieze, Sound, Rhyme, and Letter Time Teacher Notes; and an Assessment Handbook