Chemistry: Concepts and Applications © 2005
About the Program
Using Chemistry: Concepts and Applications, you can:
- Provide clear chemistry application of key concepts with inquiry-based Launch Labs, safe and “doable” MiniLabs, and classroom-proven ChemLabs. Additional resource options are available for forensics, small-scale and probeware labs.
- Engage your students with exciting, colorful introductions to the chapter content, including a Launch Lab, previews like What I Already Know and Reading Chemistry, and a link to Chemistry Online.
- Help students prepare for local, state, and national tests with Standardized Test Practice and Test-Taking Tips in the chapter assessment.
- Offer a variety of review and practice opportunities with Example Problems, Practice Problems, and Supplemental Practice Problems.
- Provide your students with the side-by-side English/Spanish Glossary (Glossary/Glosario)—a unique learning tool for ELL students.
- Chapter 1 Chemistry: The Science of Matter
- Chapter 2 Matter is Made up of Atoms
- Chapter 3 Introduction to the Periodic Table
- Chapter 4 Formation of compounds
- Chapter 5 Types of Compounds
- Chapter 6 Chemical Reactions and Equations
- Chapter 7 Completing the Model of the Atom
- Chapter 8 Periodic Properties of the Elements
- Chapter 9 Chemical Bonding
- Chapter 10 The Kinetic Theory of Matter
- Chapter 11 Behavior of Gases
- Chapter 12 Chemical Quantities
- Chapter 13 Water and its Solutions
- Chapter 14 Acids, Bases, and pH
- Chapter 15 Acids and Bases React
- Chapter 16 Oxidation-Reduction Reactions
- Chapter 17 Electrochemistry
- Chapter 18 Organic Chemistry
- Chapter 19 The Chemistry of Life
- Chapter 20 Chemical Reactions and Energy
- Chapter 21 Nuclear Chemistry
Additional Details & Resources
- Research Base for Chemistry and Physics
This article shows how Glencoe's Physics program was designed from the National Science Education Standards, which include the following four tenants: Science is for all students; Learning science is an active process; School science reflects the intellectual and cultural traditions that characterize the practice of contemporary science; and, Improving science education is part of systemic education reform. References of the research base can be viewed at the end of the document.
Randomized Controlled Studies
- Efficacy Study of Glencoe Chemistry and Physics
This report describes 13 schools in seven districts that have been successful in teaching chemistry and physics concepts, as evidenced by student performance and attitude, feedback from students and parents, and responses from teachers. These results demonstrate the benefits of effective chemistry and physics curricula programs, as well as successful teaching practices.