Bentley, Traditions & Encounters: A Global Perspective on the Past UPDATED 6e, AP Edition ©2017
About the Program
The Updated AP Edition engages AP teachers and students through:
- NEW AP-style Test Practice multiple choice, short answer, and long essay questions at the end of each chapter help students prepare for these new test items.
- NEW AP Test Banks match the question type, style, and rigor of the newly redesigned AP Exam.
- NEW AP Teacher Manual helps teachers transition seamlessly into teaching the new course with extended subthemes and new exam style and format.
- NEW Primary Source Library is organized by Historical Time Period. Each Time Period includes a variety of primary sources and historical arguments, and a set of focused documents and images to analyze and interpret one topic in depth.
- AP Themes-based Part Openers illustrate themes and new thematic learning objectives in context and help students connect themes across time.
- AP Chapter Focus features in Chapter Opener spreads highlight the vital content for AP Exam success.
The best prepared students use Bentley’s Traditions & Encounters!
Additional Details & Resources
PART 1 The Early Complex Societies, 3500 to 500 B.C.E.
- CHAPTER 1 Before History
- CHAPTER 2 Early Societies in Southwest Asia and the Indo-European Migrations
- CHAPTER 3 Early African Societies and the Bantu Migrations
- CHAPTER 4 Early Societies in South Asia
- CHAPTER 5 Early Society in Mainland East Asia
- CHAPTER 6 Early Societies in the Americas and Oceania
PART 2 The Formation of Classical Societies, ca. 500 B.C.E. to ca. 500 C.E.
- CHAPTER 7 The Empires of Persia
- CHAPTER 8 The Unification of China
- CHAPTER 9 State, Society, and the Quest for Salvation in India
- CHAPTER 10 Mediterranean Society: The Greek Phase
- CHAPTER 11 Mediterranean Society: The Roman Phase
- CHAPTER 12 Cross-Cultural Exchanges on the Silk Roads: During the Late Classical Era
PART 3 The Postclassical Era, 500 to 1000 C.E.
- CHAPTER 13 The Resurgence of Empire in East Asia
- CHAPTER 14 The Expansive Realm of Islam
- CHAPTER 15 India and the Indian Ocean Basin
- CHAPTER 16 The Two Worlds of Christendom
PART 4 The Acceleration of Cross-Cultural Interaction, 1000 to 1500 C.E.
- CHAPTER 17 Nomadic Empires and Eurasian Integration
- CHAPTER 18 States and Societies of Sub-Saharan Africa
- CHAPTER 19 The Increasing Influence of Europe
- CHAPTER 20 Worlds Apart: The Americas and Oceania
- CHAPTER 21 Expanding Horizons of Cross-Cultural Interaction
PART 5 The Origins of Global Interdependence, 1500 to 1800
- CHAPTER 22 Transoceanic Encounters and Global Connections
- CHAPTER 23 The Transformation of Europe
- CHAPTER 24 New Worlds: The Americas and Oceania
- CHAPTER 25 Africa and the Atlantic World
- CHAPTER 26 Tradition and Change in East Asia
- CHAPTER 27 The Islamic Empires
PART 6 An Age of Revolution, Industry, and Empire, 1750 to 1914
- CHAPTER 28 Revolutions and National States in the Atlantic World
- CHAPTER 29 The Making of Industrial Society
- CHAPTER 30 The Americas in the Age of Independence
- CHAPTER 31 Societies at Crossroads
- CHAPTER 32 The Building of Global Empires
PART 7 Contemporary Global Realignments, 1914 to the Present
- CHAPTER 33 The Great War: The World in Upheaval
- CHAPTER 34 An Age of Anxiety
- CHAPTER 35 Nationalism and Political Identities in Asia, Africa, and Latin America
- CHAPTER 36 New Conflagrations: World War II and the Cold War
- CHAPTER 37 The End of Empire
- CHAPTER 38 A World without Borders