Connecting Math Concepts®: Comprehensive Edition 2012
SRA Connecting Math Concepts: Comprehensive Edition has been revised for levels A-E and students in grades K-5. This program gives students who are at-risk of falling behind or who have already fallen behind the chance to catch up and learn significant mathematics.
About the Program
SRA Connecting Math Concepts: Comprehensive Edition has proven field results for Tier 1 and Tier 3 at-risk students. The program provides explicit, systematic, intensive instruction to:
- Introduce key concepts clearly and carefully to accelerate student progress
- Teach students to connect skills and “big idea” concepts
- Monitor each student's progress daily to differentiate instruction
- Offer online activities to reinforce students' mastery
- Use explicit strategies that incorporate oral and written responses
SRA 2Inform makes collecting and interpreting student data easy so teachers can effectively respond to student needs.
New for this edition:
- NEW digital resources with over 150 learning activities to differentiate learning!
- Reinvent student learning objectives by meeting the Common Core State Standards
- Re-imagine integrated technology and activity practice for teachers and students
- Rethink how students key master math concepts
SRA Connecting Math Concepts: Comprehensive Edition is based on students understanding math skills and concepts that require making connections among related math topics and between procedures and knowledge.
- Offers step-by-step lessons that have been rigorously field-tested and shaped to meet the needs of students who struggle with math.
- Teaches explicit strategies and processes that work in a variety of contexts to accelerate progress.
- Introduces key concepts over the course of multiple lessons - providing the time students need to learn, process, and buiold a deep understanding.
- Meets the math standards specified in the Common Cote State Standards.
- SRA Connecting Math Concepts: Comprehensive Edition combines facts, procedures, conceptual understanding, applications, and the development of problem solving to provide a comprehensive curriculum for students who struggle with mathematics.
- A coherent progression of key topics with an emphasis on proficiency ensures optimal learning and achievement.
- Explicit, teacher-directed instruction sets an expectation for student involvement and gives learners the direction and support needed to be successful.
- Ongoing assessment helps teachers identify and differentiate instruction to meet every student's needs.
Student Workbook (Level A-E)
- Provides challenging application activities
- Workbooks give each student extra practice so students master the basics as they expand their understanding of mathematics
- Correspond to each lesson so students get the most out of each concept
Student Hardcover Textbook (Level C-E)
- Provide challenging application activities
- Clear and concise directions for each activity
- Independent work perfect for seat work or take home activities
- Mathematical rules and examples for easy recall
Student Assessment Book (Level A-E)
- Provides mastery tests and remedy sheets
- Includes cumulative test questions and exercises
This convenient teacher portal powered by ConnectED features a set of easy-to-use online tools that will help you integrate technology into your classroom!
- Instantly display instructional math visuals and problems to help students follow daily routines
Grade Book and Reporting
- Place students, track daily independent progress, and provide mastery tests data with corresponding classroom remedies
- Monitor performance on mastery tests and cumulative tests using a variety of reports while providing a snapshot of current student and class understanding
Practice Software (single student license, 1-year subscription is a separate purchase)
- Provide students time to practice and reinforce concepts, skills, and math facts with fun games!
- Track student progress and time on task instantly
eBook Teacher’s Guide
- Conveniently preview placement tests, scope and sequence, Common Core State Standards alignment, learn program instructional strategies, rationales, and teaching tips
eBook Teacher Presentation Books
- Quickly preview lessons, planning pages, and Common Core State Standards correlations
- Easily view, download, and print Math Fact Worksheets for students who require extra practice. Also access all teacher lesson materials online from any computer any time
Levels A and B kit includes: Presentation Books (3); Teacher’s Guide, Board Displays CD-ROM, Workbooks 1 and 2, Assessment Book, 6-year access to online content via ConnectEd.
Level C kit includes: Presentation Books (2), Teacher’s Guide, Answer Key, Board Displays CD-ROM, Textbook, Workbooks 1 and 2, Assessment Book, 6-year access to online content via Connect Ed
Presentation Books provide fully scripted lesson plans that make teaching efficient and highly effective:
- Planning pages provide Common Core State Standards references to help you meet grade level expectations
- Feature instructional strategies, teaching tips, and a Scope and Sequence in the Teacher Guide
- Clearly labeled answer keys, making it easy to check independent work (Level A and B)
Additional Teacher's Guides
- Feature instructional strategies, teaching tips, and a Scope and Sequence, reproducible Placement Test
Additional Answer Key (Level C-E)
- Clearly labeled answer keys, making it easy to check independent work
Online Math Facts Blackline Masters (Level A-D)
- Provide extra worksheets for students who require extra practice in math facts Test pages for teachers to assess student's mastery of the facts
Connecting Math Concepts Level A, Teacher Materials Package
Connecting Math Concepts Level B, Teacher Materials Package
Connecting Math Concepts Level C, Teacher Materials Package
Connecting Math Concepts Level D, Teacher Materials Package
Connecting Math Concepts Level E, Teacher Materials Package
Connecting Math Concepts Level F, Teacher Materials Package
Connecting Math Concepts Level A, Teacher's Guide
Connecting Math Concepts Level B, Additional Teacher's Guide
Connecting Math Concepts Level C, Additional Answer Key
Connecting Math Concepts Level C, Additional Teacher's Guide
Connecting Math Concepts Level D, Additional Answer Key
Connecting Math Concepts Level D, Additional Teacher Guide
Connecting Math Concepts Level E, Additional Answer Key
Connecting Math Concepts Level E, Additional Teacher Guide
Connecting Math Concepts Level F, Additional Answer Key
Connecting Math Concepts Level F, Additional Teacher's Guide
Connecting Math Concepts Level A, Student Assessment Book
Connecting Math Concepts Level A, Workbook 1
Connecting Math Concepts Level A, Workbook 2
Connecting Math Concepts Level B, Student Assessment Book
Connecting Math Concepts Level B, Workbook 1
Connecting Math Concepts Level B, Workbook 2
Connecting Math Concepts Level C, Student Assessment Book
Connecting Math Concepts Level C, Student Textbook
Connecting Math Concepts Level C, Workbook 1
Connecting Math Concepts Level C, Workbook 2
Connecting Math Concepts Level D, Student Assessment Book
Connecting Math Concepts Level D, Textbook
Additional Details & Resources
- Direct Instruction Mathematics Programs: An Overview and Research Summary
This paper provides an overview and research summary of Direct Instruction (DI) mathematics programs, including Connecting Math Concepts . A comparison of the constructivist approach to the direct or explicit approach to math instruction was conducted. Overviews and ways in which DI math programs meet the 6 principles for improving math instruction as provided by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM; 2000b) are noted. Finally, a research review and analysis of DI math programs published since 1990 (yielding 12 studies) was completed.
- The Research Base for Direct Instruction Mathematics Programs
The following is a description of the research base for Direct Instruction mathematics programs, specifically DISTAR Arithmetic I and II, Corrective Mathematics, and Connecting Math Concepts. Searched of reference lists were used to identify other possible research articles. Also, hand searches were done in the following peer-reviewed journals: Effective School Practices, Journal of Direct Instruction, and Educations and Treatment of Children.
Randomized Controlled Studies
- Effective Mathematics Instruction: The Importance of Curriculum
This study compared Connecting Math Concepts to Scott Foresman's Invitation to Mathematics and found that Connecting Math Concepts was more effective in improving student achievement outcomes.
Non-Randomized Controlled Studies
- Effects on Urban Children of Curriculum Alignment Versus Direct Instruction
This study found that the Direct Instruction method of teaching was superior in improving student achievement when compared against traditional basal curricula.
Evidence of Success
- Special Education and Direct Instruction: An Effective Combination
Research shows strong evidence of success when Direct Instruction programs are used with students with special needs. In fact, Direct Instruction is one of only seven interventions proven effective (Forness, Kavale, Blum & Lloyd, 1997). With its research-supported design and systematic delivery, Direct Instruction is often referred to as a program for special education or at-risk students.