English Learners in Science
Grade Levels: 6-6
About the Program
Using this course, participants learn various strategies for helping English learners build content knowledge and vocabulary. They watch video commentary by Dr. Ruben Zepeda, a curriculum director for English learners, and view excerpts from classroom lessons in which teachers use multiple instructional strategies that support English learners. In addition to completing several online activities, they will also develop a standards-based lesson plan that integrates EL strategies into a science lesson of their choice.
- Understand and recognize the unique characteristics of English learners.
- Identify key instructional issues faced by teachers.
- Explore instructional strategies that promote achievement.
- Develop instructional plans and classroom management strategies.
- Explore classroom resources and professional development opportunities.
RttT/SIG Assurances covered:
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Turning Around the Lowest Performing Schools
Audience: Building Administrators, Coaches, and Teachers
Number of Participants: 1
Delivery Method: Online
Time: 3 to 5 hours
Dr. Ruben Zepeda is the principal of Vasquez High School. Dr. Zepeda has had a distinguished career in education, most recently serving as Assistant Superintendent with the Alameda Unified School District in Alameda County. In 2002, Dr. Ruben Zepeda received the Ruth Delzell Outstanding Service Award, which recognizes California Council for Social Studies (CCSS) members whose dedication on both state and local levels has contributed significantly to the CCSS organization and to the profession of social studies education.