Biology: The Essentials
Purchase this product
The purchase quantity range should be 1-29 for this product.
What’s The Point? Applied: This new follow-up reading explores one application of the chapter concepts introduced in the What’s The Point? opening reading.
Margin Glossaries: These mini-glossaries occur in sections with a lot of new terminology to aid in reading comprehension.
Investigating Life: This key feature was heavily revised to focus on the needs of the essentials-level student, with greater emphasis on process of science and scientific inquiry.
Media Integration: Icons within the text point students to relevant media that illustrate difficult concepts or provide an opportunity to practice their knowledge.
Animated Tutorials: This set of videos based on textbook images was created by the author to walk students through the most difficult material, step by step.
- Engages students with a personalized reading experience
- Ensures students retain knowledge
Learn How To Learn – Each chapter presents one study tip the author uses in her own classroom to help students take a concrete step toward improved learning.
Figure It Out – Found at key points in the narrative, these questions focus on quantitative skills and allow students to apply new ideas right away.
Pull It Together – Students are provided with a concept map of the main concepts from the chapter, and asked a set of questions designed to make them think more deeply about the relationships among those concepts.
Burning Question – The author answers questions she has received from her own students and those submitted by students using Concepts in their biology course.
What’s The Point? and Why We Care? These high-interest readings help students see the relevance of science content to their daily lives.
Biology: The Essentials
1. Scientific Study of Life
2. The Chemistry of Life
4. The Energy of Life
6. How Cells Release Energy
Unit 2: Biotechnology, Genetics, and Inheritance
7. DNA Structure and Gene Function
8. DNA Replication and Cell Division
9. Sexual Reproduction and Meiosis
10. Patterns of Inheritance
11. DNA Technology
Unit 3: Evolution and Diversity
12. Forces of Evolutionary Change
13. Evidence of Evolution
14. Speciation and Extinction
15. Evolution and Diversity of Microbial Life
16. Evolution and Diversity of Plants
17. Evolution and Diversity of Animals
Unit 4: Ecology
19. Communities and Ecosystems
20. Preserving Biodiversity
Unit 5: Plant Physiology
21. Plant Form and Function 22. Reproduction and Development of Flowering Plants Unit 6: Animal Physiology 23. Animal Tissues and Organ Systems
24. The Nervous System and the Senses
25. The Endocrine System
26. The Skeletal and Muscular Systems
27. The Circulatory and Respiratory Systems
28. The Digestive and Urinary Systems
29. The Immune System
30. Animal Reproduction and Development