Kathy Bumgardner, M.Ed.; Ed.S.
CEO/Founder /National Literacy Consultant, Strategies Unlimited, Inc.
School Improvement Specialist, Belmont, North Carolina
Kathy Bumgardner is a veteran educator and a passionate presenter who combines research-based instructional best practices and positive humor at every opportunity. With a teaching career of 30+ years, spanning a variety of grade levels, diverse classrooms, and literacy positions in North Carolina schools, Kathy fully understands the value of sharing research-based teaching strategies that work in the “real-world” classroom.
Kathy currently is the Founder, CEO and National Literacy Consultant with Strategies Unlimited, Inc. out of Belmont, North Carolina. Through her company, she has many documented successful results in individual schools and districts across the country. In this role, she directly coaches and teams with teachers, students, and administrators in collaborative efforts to raise student achievement through sharing her real-world knowledge of best instructional practices.
Kathy is the creator of Think-Aloud Clouds, Comprehension Genre Walks, and many other tried-and-true interactive and collaborative literacy tools in her Literacy Took Kit. These valuable resources support successful differentiated reading and writing classroom instruction. She shares many of these literacy tools and classroom resources on her highly popular website - www.kbumreading.com - with teachers all over the world.
- Charlotte/Belmont, North Carolina (Professional)
- University of North Carolina (B.A.; M.Ed.; Ed. S.)
- Balanced Literacy/Reading & Writing Workshop Model
- Small-Group Guided Reading/Writing
- Writing to Sources / Response to Texts / Writing Process
- Differentiated Classroom Instruction
- Best Instructional Classroom Practices for Successful Literacy Classrooms / Classroom Management
- Word Study: Effective Language and Vocabulary Instruction in a Balanced Literacy Classroom
- Visual Teaching and Learning- Anchor Charting and Literacy Tools for Student Growth
- Make It – Take It Literacy Tools for Empowering and Engaging Students
- What Are the Other Kids Doing? Meaningful Literacy Activities
- Texas Wonders
Teaching students strategic peer conferencing routines, through guided and monitored collaborative practice, can be key to instructional success. Since in most classrooms there are many students and only one teacher, it is helpful to both teacher and students to allow them to serve as effective conferencing partners for each other.