Dr. Jan Hasbrouck
Co-Founder & Educational Consultant, Gibson Hasbrouck and Associates
Dr. Jan Hasbrouck is an educational consultant, author, and researcher. She served as Executive Consultant to the Washington State Reading Initiative and as an advisor to the Texas Reading Initiative. Dr. Hasbrouck worked as a reading specialist and literacy coach for 15 years before teaching at the University of Oregon and later as a professor at Texas A&M University. Dr. Hasbrouck has provided educational consulting to individual schools across the United States as well as in Mexico, Peru, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Ghana, and Germany, helping teachers, specialists, and administrators design and implement effective assessment and instructional programs targeted to help low-performing readers. Dr. Hasbrouck earned her B.A. and M.A. from the University of Oregon and completed her Ph.D. at Texas A&M. Her research in areas of reading fluency, reading assessment, coaching, and second language learners has been published in numerous professional books and journals. In 2008, she and her colleague, Dr. Vicki Gibson, partnered to form Gibson Hasbrouck & Associates, with the mission to provide high-quality professional development to educators nationally and internationally.
- Austin, TX (Professional)
- Texas A&M University (Ph.D.)
- University of Oregon, Eugene (Professional; B.A..; M.A.)
- Reading Assessment
- Reading Fluency
- Differentiated Instruction
- Phonics/ Foundational Skills
- Professional Development
- Equity of Access for Struggling Learners
- The Power of Intervention: Making it Work in the Real World
- Texas Wonders
- Hasbrouck, J. & Glaser, D. A. (2012). Reading Fluency: Understanding and Teaching this Complex Skill. Austin, TX: Gibson Hasbrouck & Associates.
- Hasbrouck, J. (2010). Educators as Physicians: Using RTI Data for Effective Decision-Making. Austin, TX: Gibson Hasbrouck & Associates.
- Gibson, V., & Hasbrouck, J. E. (2008). Differentiated Instruction: Grouping for Success. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Hasbrouck, J.E., & Denton, Carolyn (2005). The Reading Coach: A How-to Manual for Success. Dallas, TX: Sopris West.
My hope for Texas students is that their teachers can help every student become a skillful and motivated reader and writer.